It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Match.com - NEGATIVE!

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
todd0
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby todd0 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 pm

thanks for the infor, they have been sending me the free 72 hr invite things lately. they also sent an ad for their other site chemistry.com. i bet it sucks too!

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

nearlygotdun
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby nearlygotdun » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:58 am

I have had 6-7 girls contact me on Lavalife,I think Lavalife is ok though,within a couple of hours I had messages from girls overseas mainly Russia,I've replied to one and am still talking to her,Ihave already mentioned her on this site.As soon as you check their profiles they are gone but send a message with there alternate email,normally yahoo or gmail.thats why I found this site and that was by accident,anyway I decided to register another yahoo address and join Lavalife again,the same thing happened.It's about time I think the Governments started doing alot more to protect the innocent.I have meet some nice women on Lavalife though just friends

1savvylady
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

identity theft and fraud

Postby 1savvylady » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:00 am

My identity 1savvylady my words my photos and all info listed on match.com was stolen completely and being used on another dating site. I know I was contacted by over a dozen scammers while on match. They got mad when I refused to give them money, turned down talking to them because they were not in the country, and even when I felt there was nothing in common. Thanks to oprah I found this site and got up to speed on more than I wished for. I am glad this is here and helped identify quickly many scammers. As far as the ID theft * google your ID to see I'd you are showing up anywhere! I contacted the site and reported the fraud. They removed my stolen profile promptly. Match never returned my messages and I turned in scammers there. And I have not been on match or any other web site since. But I know my words and photos are out there and may show up again. I just hate to think someone could be scammed with my photo or words from my profile - they used it in its entirety Any ideas? Live and learn

mariainmd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

My Match.com dealings

Postby mariainmd » Sat May 23, 2009 3:07 am

After being scammed, I now trust no one on Match.com. I have been contacted by scammers about 98% of the time since I joined this year. I am getting better at finding them. I report each and every one of them scumbags to Match. I was told as has been reported here that they use stolen credit cards to subscribe. I also found out another way from my dealings with my scammer. I was on vacation, and he wanted me off Match. Since I didn't really have time to deal with it and tired of him hounding me, I gave in and let him have my password to go in and remove my profile. Well, by the time I went from one end of the ship to to the other, I realized my credit card info was in there. So, I turned around and went back to the library (with internet). He had changed my login name and password. Since Match sent me the updated info, I quickly went in and changed by username back with a different password. My scammer was not too happy about that. I just told him I wanted the satisfaction of telling Match that I found someone. He let it go. He was attempting to hijack my account so he could continue scamming using my subscription! I didn't realize it this until recently when it finally hit me. I talked to Match about this, and they are aware of it. I recommended that they add an extra precaution in their process so that the person is prompted to confirm that the username and password was meant to be changed. My suggestion was going to be forwarded up the chain. I also recommended that they do a service to their "legal" subscribers by having more info posted on their site about romance scams and the "follow me" or "jumper" phone numbers. If I knew the Nigerians were forwarding their calls to the UK, I wouldn't have been scammed. Let's see if Match implements any of my suggestions.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sat May 23, 2009 7:11 am

Quick question : IF you use the same password for match.com AND your real life (or indeed any) email address - go and change that one quickly, too :(
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

mariainmd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mariainmd » Sat May 23, 2009 7:59 pm

No, I don't use it for any other e-mail accounts, not even Match.com anymore. Plus, the credit card that was being used on Match expired. I have checked my statements several times to make sure nothing was charged. I did call the credit card company up right away also.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sat May 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Oh, good :)
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

RLady
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Match.com - NEGATIVE!

Postby RLady » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:41 am

I was ill several years back and when I couldn't sleep I would log onto Match.com. I want to mention there is another type of scam on that site that someone called "serial daters". I have watched men age and change pictures, using the same profiles for years. Most never leave the site and I question their honesty and integrity, knowing what they are doing. I've also seen the same men on other dating sites.

bons1104
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Match.com Scammers

Postby bons1104 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Has anyone noticed how many scammers are on Match? They usually "Wink" and then their profile is super long and makes no sense. I have written to the Match.com customer service several times. I don't understand how a totally free site like Plenty of Fish can filter out scammers, but a paying site like Match is full of them.

bytheway
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bytheway » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:30 am

I am not a paid member at Match, so I couldn't reply to a lot of the men that sent me messages, except one paid subscriber. After seeing the pictures he posted, I wasn't interested in him at all. But he sent his message to me twice and after all he's a paid member, so I finally replied. His profile says he's from NY and lives in Britain. He also sent me his US phone number and asked for mine. But I checked the email IP address, it's from Nigeria. Also, I've seen those pictures on Adultsingles.com as well. The profile on Adultsingles.com was a UK single, but there are some discrepancies among the 2 profiles.

I told the guy I'd only give him my phone number after we've seen each other on webcam, since I made the mistake in my last experience not asking for a webcam viewing, that wasted me a lot of time.

I still haven't started chatting with this guy yet. But I'm pretty sure he's a scammer.

I've written my concern to Match.com about this; that even paid subscribers are fake on their website, but heard nothing from them.

Quite a number of dating websites nowadays have webcam/voice chat. I am very disappointed that Match.com's paid members couldn't enjoy this kind of facilities. There's no guarantee that it would eliminate all the scammers, but at least that should weed out those Nigerians posing as white men, or Nigerian men posing as females, before the members decide if they want to give out their emails or phone numbers. Better still, they should have a better and accurate IP check system to let the members know the estimate real location of the one they are contacting with.

Nowadays I go to sites that have webcam/voice chat facilities because that save me a lot of time in pre-screening. Even so, you can spoof a webcam just as you can spoof a phone number.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

A small hope . . .

Postby Pinky » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm

I paid $60 for a three month membership on Match.com, knowing they have the highest body count of victims for all the paid sites. When someone pays to post their profile and email other singles, they expect a modicum of protection. Match has always failed miserably at that. In fact I joined to chase someone's scammer from there. Another fact, about 80% of the winks and messages I get are from OBVIOUS (to me) SCAMMERS. I'm messing with a few of them, I got one to roll over and get on cam for me last weekend (will post him soon, I promise), but all the ones who actually write me get reported.

I don't report the winks from known scammers because those are the ones who are on free trial, but the scammers who email me, I know they've used a stolen credit card in order to purchase a membership so they can spam out their intros. Those need to be reported because a paid profile adds credibility to their scam for potential victims, the real cc owner needs to be made aware their card is compromised and it's not fair to match to have their service abused for any length of time.

The good news of hope is that Match.com now has a pretty efficient method of reporting. You can anonymously report just suspicions and they are apparently researching reports rapidly. Every one I've reported has disappeared within 24 hours. The options to report are, 1) Member is not located where they claim to be, 2) This member is using a stolen picture, 3) This member is using stolen information, 4) This member asked me for money, and 5) This member's profile seems odd or just doesn't add up. I think there are a few more options, I seem to recall one about making inappropriate sexual comments, but the important thing is that it appears that Match.com is finally getting serious about their scammer problems.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

&TheHorseYouRodeInOn
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby &TheHorseYouRodeInOn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:05 pm

The options to report are, 1) Member is not located where they claim to be, 2) This member is using a stolen picture, 3) This member is using stolen information, 4) This member asked me for money, and 5) This member's profile seems odd or just doesn't add up
That is good to hear. See my post from last year on page 1 of this thread. These are almost exactly the same suggested reasons I sent to them after I reported many scammers but had to use the 'other reason' box. At least they are making an effort.
"I wish I would have met you, but now it is a little late. The things you could have taught me, I could have saved some face." Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot

GerriH
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby GerriH » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:03 pm

I have found some scammers but found its best to just ignore the winks and messages I get. Once you respond to a wink or message, they will keep bothering you from other profile names as well. Also I don't bother with anyone who lives more than 20 miles from me and doesn't want to meet right away. I'd rather not waste time chatting to someone online for weeks or months only to find out there is no chemistry -- which has happened to me too many times. Now I just email 1-2 times and suggest meeting at Starbucks right away. If they won't meet or come up with excuses I stop communicating. I'm looking for somebody to spend time with, not some online fantasy partner. Not all people on Match.com are bad. I met my last boyfriend there and we were together for almost a year and only broke up because he was moving cities and I couldn't move with him because of family reasons. And I have 3 friends who have married people they met on match. With any site just be careful and try to meet that person as soon as you can to weed out the scammers. Scammers aren't going to agree to meet you that week and will keep coming up with excuse after excuse why they cant meet even though they say they are living in your city

wisernow1959
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby wisernow1959 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:22 pm

I almost got taken in by someone I met on Match.com. Sounds like everyone had similar experiences!! They did take off the profile quickly.

My scammer wanted me to transfer money from his account (looked like plenty available) into my account and wire it to him in Malaysia. I spoke to my banker who said that once it appears the money is in my account and I wire the money, I might get notified that transfer was not good and I would be responsible for the money!!! I told my scammer I spoke to the bank and haven't heard back since.

These guys are good!!

Canuck
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Canuck » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:00 am

I just joined match.com and am throughly disguested with it. I did it 8 years ago and swore I would never do it again and as they say you should never say never as it comes back to bit you in the rear. Anyway, I decided to join as I now work out of my home and don't have the social network that working somewhere gives you. When I did it 8 years ago, most of the guys on their lied about their age, posted pictures of themselves much younger, were married, etc. and that was bad enough but now we have to deal with all the scammers. And, I don't agree that match is doing their best to protect the site from scammers. I get hit at least once a day by a scammer. Now, figure if they took off all the scammers there would probably be maybe 5% of their data base left. It's big money to them. I have emailed their customer care several times now and have yet to get any kind of response from them. Yes, when you do all the work and find the scammer and present them with the facts they will yank that profile but only when you complain. I had to send in 3 emails before they would take a picture off of a profile that the guy was using an actors picture. This actor is very well known and you can't tell me for a second they didn't recognize this actor yet they let it go.
If I can find information on the scammers why can't they. They have all the ip addresses of the scammers yet those same scammers are able to log back on using a different profile and why because it's about money.
I don't know about you but I am hoping mad and trying to figure out a way to let match know just how upset I am with them. I am thinking of doing a utube video to get the word out to more people so more people will complain and they will eventually have to listen. Right now, they are doing passive listening. I think they should ask to see a person's drivers license to be able to join, that would be harder for the scammers to get as then the pictures they post would have to match the picture on the license. If match really wanted to protect their customers there is more they can do.
If you have any idea how we can team together to make them make changes I would love to hear. I feel I am not only being scammed by the scammers on match but by match.com as well.

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”