It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Contacting Western Union and MoneyGram

Questions or ideas about ways to prosecute Russian scammers
Elena
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Elena » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:49 am

All who sent money by Western Union or MoneyGram need to immediately contact WU or MG to find out in what city (and bank) the money was picked up.

Most scammers lie about the city they live in. They do that to mislead the victims about their true identity. If you were given some exact bank address for WU or MG transfer, do not believe that info. Most likely, the money was picked up some place else. WU and MG transfers can be picked up at any WU location in any city in Russia or Ukraine, which makes it very easy for scammers to lie about their true location within the country.

The best way to find out where the scammer is actually located, is to check where the money was received.

When a person receives a WU or MG transfer, he or she has to show a valid ID (in Russia or Ukraine that would be passport). Their ID info is recorded on the computer at the bank by the WU or MG employee before the funds are released. Therefore things such as the receiver's passport number and registered address get recorded. That info is then uploaded into WU main database, along with the name of the bank and the date and time the transaction took place. That information becomes invaluable for police when they consider a case against a particular scammer.

However, for some unknown reason, both WU and MG feel that the identities of the crooks abusing their system and their clients need careful protection. Therefore they often refuse to cooperate with the victims. They strongly resist releasing the ID info (passport number and address) without subpoena, but they can and should release the city and the name of the bank to the victims at the victim?s request.

Not all their representatives treat victims equally. Sometimes some particular representative may feel that city and bank names should also be protected. Nevertheless, with some persistence, you should be able to overcome their resistance.

Instructions for calling WU and MG:

? Collect all Western Union (WU) or MoneyGram (MG) receipts you have.
? Call WU (1-800-325-6000) or MG (800-666-3947) and find a way to speak to a representative from Fraud or Abuse department. Provide the representative with the money transfer number and the date it was sent, explain that you were not aware that the receiver was a crook, and ask the representative to provide you information about the city name and the bank address where the transfer was picked up by the receiver.
? If the representative refuses to provide you with this info, politely explain that you are aware that such information is routinely provided to the victims by phone and email and that you need just the name of the city and the bank name if possible. In fact, ANY info they can provide to you. If they still resist, ask to speak to a supervisor, be assertive and tell them you will seek legal actions against them if necessary. If they say that they don?t have the info and it needs to be requested from Russia or from another database, ask how long it would take and whom you should contact when the info is ready. Do not back off.
? Also ask the representative what kind of steps you can take to place a warning on the receiver?s name, so the next time someone tries to send money to your scammer, they would be warned by a WU agent that such a warning has been placed on the lady?s name. If the representative doesn't know, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Please note that MG has more difficulty accessing their database than WU. WU seems to have a more sophisticated database that is accessible from their office computer. MG often has to request the necessary info from Russia.

Also note that the info is not kept in their system forever. The longer it has been since the transfer took place, the longer it would take for them to research that info for you.

P.S.
Anyone who has called WU or MG, please share your experience with others, and if you had any problems, please tell us how you managed to get the info out of them and how long it took. Thank you!

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

footprint62
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

contacting moneygram

Postby footprint62 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:25 am

i emailed moneygram at the following email addres and they emailed the details of where the money was picked up the same day.

subpoena@moneygram.com

Rich89
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Western Union Fraud report

Postby Rich89 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 pm

They told me to tell my local police department and they will list my transfer as fraud and release information to authorities with my permission. The transfer was to Russia, I will try to email WU

Elena
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Elena » Sat May 03, 2008 5:35 am

Rich89,
Thank you very much. Please keep us updated on the situation with Western Union.

Gari
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gari » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:15 am

Hi, may I ask if there is allready something more known?

Thanks for replying.

George
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Western Union Fraud report

Postby George » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:32 pm

They told me to tell my local police department and they will list my transfer as fraud and release information to authorities with my permission. The transfer was to Russia, I will try to email WU
Hi there
Am interested how we collect those info from WU. I am a victim my self and am not proud! So please tell me email address of WU to contact them and explain me please how i manage this issue.
The uploaded pic is Oksana's Zototova ("Lady" scammer)
Thanks George

Elena
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Elena » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:25 am

George,

Please visit http://www.russian-detective.com/scams/scammed.htm#do

(Please do not post scammers' information on this thread. Use Scammers section of the forum instead).

Freckles
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Western Union update!!

Postby Freckles » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:15 am

I am writing to update anyone who has sent money western union and was scammed. I also was scammed not proud of it but, stuff happens.
I called 1-800-325-6000 asked to be connected to fraud dept. From there I talked to a very helpful lady told my situation to her and gave her the
MTNC number that scammer/person picking up funds would need. Gave her all names that were used from start and she put a block on the person so they will never be able to use western union again.(my understanding) She compiled a list of evidence against this person asked if I gave authorization to release to authoritze.Also told me to contact local police or you can file a report on line at the following website. www.ic3@gov. internet FBI. I took these steps to prevent anyone else from being taken. Hope this is helpful.

Elena
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Elena » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:45 am

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with Western Union. I am actually very surprised and happy to hear that they were so proactive in your case.

Please be aware that filing a complaint with FBI and your local police is not really going to solve the problem, though. You need to file a complaint directly with Russian police. They are the only ones who have a jurisdiction over the case.

http://www.russian-detective.com/scams/ ... plaint.htm

nobody_
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Contacting Western Union and MoneyGram

Postby nobody_ » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:16 pm

My Experience with WU is that they are not helpful at all. I called them and got only 2 locations (the last 2 where the money has been collected from in Nigeria) - about the other locations, i was asked to sent an email to their head office. I then received emails from WU telling they cannot help and I only need to advise the police department to contact them. Another WU email asked me to sent proof to them via post mail which i did and i spent money for photocopies on the WU receipts...and as well on the mail from Germany to UK....still i received no reply. I then was in touch to a victim fraud adviser who asked me to make a complain to a higher instance ICO, so again i copied all info and proof and again spent money (that i did not had, it was the money of my family) to sent the proof to the UK. I still have not heard about it. It seems to me that WU is not co-operating and rather supports the scammers then the victims been scammed. I might consider in my next step to see a laywer.

Elena
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Elena » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:22 am

Yes, I have heard other victims tell a similar story, that WU promises to send information but then nothing, or they just plain refuse to give any info unless the victim can subpoena the records through law enforcement.

red zora
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby red zora » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:00 pm

i have send with western union and i have get a adress from him. he has get the keyword, did you mean i have to ask western union where he get the money?
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... =72&t=5149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEAVE YOUR SCAMMER WITHOUT WORDS,TELL HIM NOTHING!!!
How to use this board? Have a look here
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=18&t=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

red zora
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby red zora » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:22 pm

as i have send, western union has ask me if i know the person where i send...but just i think i have not know good enough....
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... =72&t=5149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEAVE YOUR SCAMMER WITHOUT WORDS,TELL HIM NOTHING!!!
How to use this board? Have a look here
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=18&t=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elena
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Elena » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:02 pm

i have send with western union and i have get a adress from him. he has get the keyword, did you mean i have to ask western union where he get the money?
I did not understand the question... could you rephrase it? :-?

dontuwish.01
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby dontuwish.01 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:01 am

My experience with Western Union. I contacted them thru their website. Here it goes:
Re: MTCN _______
MTCN _______
" Its been 2 weeks now I have not receive a reply to my queries on the above two business transactions of mine
thru WU.
As a customer of WU I demand to know what happened to the two business transactions I did with your business.
I am beginning to wonder if your business is involving in fraudulent international money transactions and money scams.
I like a quick response to my queries before I make a report to the Commercial Crimes Division of the NZ Police.
Additionaly I may file a complaint with the NZ Commerce Commission into your business activities.
I await your reply.

signed.

Within 4 days of this email I received a reply from WU American office.
Good luck. :) :)

Return to “Prosecution of Russian Scammers”