It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Scammers with pictures of Maj. Chris Haggard

African scammers posing as military personnel.
MissWilly
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby MissWilly » Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 pm

pictures are stolen from Maj. Chris Haggard:
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/outside- ... -and-scam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I joined an online dating service ("latinopeoplemeet.com") in late March and was approached by a member using the name "Jake Brown" with three photos of supposedly himself; two of the photos show him in a U.S. Army uniform and one photo clearly shows the soldier's name on the right side of his chest, the left sleeve shows the 10 Mountain Division patch, but I am unable to make out the patch on the right sleeve. He also has "air assault" and "paratrooper" insignias.

This "Jake Brown" and I chatted almost daily in the evening via Yahoo Instant Messenger (his Yahoo Messenger ID and e-mail address are: jake_brown004@yahoo.com). His IPs are: 41.210.4.116, 4.210.17.49.

I noticed from the beginning his grammar was poor; I asked if he was from Africa or Russia and he insisted he was American. At times he blamed it on his inability to type well/fast. I knew better and slowly I noticed other things that didn't make sense like the fact he could communicate with me for two hours every night from Iraq when I know people that have family in Iraq (including me) and we haven't heard from these troops in months. He told me he was a Staff Sergeant in Iraq and therefore had the privilege of Internet access to chat with me, he claimed to owned a home in Bronxville, New York, and was retiring from the Army on June 20th. He said he was born 12/1/63 in Miami, FL, his father was in the medical field of the U.S. Army and later worked at a gold mining company in Ghana. He also said his mother was a special ed teacher. He claimed to have no family and that after his parents died 16 years ago he joined the military.

Foolishly, I gave him my home address when he asked me for it because he had gained my trust although I still felt something wasn't entirely right. Within two days of giving him my home address, I received a dozen red roses with a teddy bear, but little did I know what lied ahead. Two days after receiving the roses, he asked me to send $5,500 to "his agent" in Ghana via Western Union in order to get his father's inheritance removed from a security company vault and brought to me. He sent me a photo of a suitcase filled with money and claimed it totalled $2.5 million. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I told him I didn't like this converstion nor his request and that I didn't want to get involved. Of course, what followed were "guilt trip" antics.

I then proceeded to beat him at his game. I told him that I would help as long as he gave me his APO address so I could send him a cell phone or calling card because I wanted to talk to him personally, I asked for his home address in Broxnville, NY, I told him I had read there were AT&T booths and internet cafes in Iraq and there was no excuse for him not to call from there, I told him to take a photo of himself next to his laptop with my photo on the laptop background. His constant and only response to all of these requests was, "you don't trust me and where there isn't trust, love is not stable." To my surprise, he did call two days later but my cell caller ID indicated "Unknown" - I told him that wasn't enough. Once I heard his voice (which sounded like an African man with a thick british-like accent) I knew he was not the soldier in the photos. He wouldn't even answer my questions whenever I asked for his title, rank, division, and unit.

A close friend advised me to check his IP address -- bingo -- he was communicating from Ghana. I was so crushed. I let him know what I discovered but it was of no use, he kept saying I was confused, played the victim, accused me of not trusting him and told me to leave him alone. I continued to ask for proof that he was Jake Brown in the photos but, of course, never got it. I have since blocked his e-mail address from accessing me via Yahoo Instant Messenger and e-mail. I saved our last two e-mails in order to have the e-mail header with his IP address.

I am so ashamed of myself although I did nothing wrong and am the target in this scenario. I just can't believe that I, almost 48-years-old, fell victim to someone like this; a ruthless person that has the audacity to use a U.S. soldier's identity to commit criminal activity on women for money. Thank God I wasn't weak and naive enough to drain my savings and send the money. Oh, yes, I actually thought about it.

I actually hope and pray the soldier in the photos is innocent. I have reported this information to the 10th Mountain Division in Ft. Drum, NY and to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center.

I have saved the last two e-mails from this person, I have all the Yahoo Messenger chat archives and I contacted the florist that delivered the flowers to me from him but they have referred me to FTD.com and I have not followed up yet. I wanted to see if they would at least tell me what country the order was placed from.

Following is Jake Brown's e-mail header:

Return-Path: <jake_brown004@yahoo.com>
Authentication-Results: mta129.mail.re2.yahoo.com from=yahoo.com; domainkeys=fail (bad sig); from=yahoo.com; dkim=permerror (bad sig)
Received: from 76.13.13.64 (HELO n1a.bullet.mail.ac4.yahoo.com) (76.13.13.64) by mta129.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Tue, 05 May 2009 16:49:41 -0700
Received: from [76.13.13.26] by n1.bullet.mail.ac4.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 05 May 2009 23:49:40 -0000
Received: from [76.13.10.182] by t3.bullet.mail.ac4.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 05 May 2009 23:49:40 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp123.mail.ac4.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 05 May 2009 23:49:40 -0000
Received: (qmail 16546 invoked by uid 60001); 5 May 2009 23:49:40 -0000
Received: from [41.210.4.116] by web59911.mail.ac4.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 05 May 2009 16:49:40 PDT
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:49:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Brown <jake_brown004@yahoo.com> View contact details

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

sandiegogirl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby sandiegogirl » Thu May 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Please don't feel foolish. I felt the same way, but have come to realize that they're very good at what they do. And I also wonder about the poor guy whose picture is being used to prey on women. I had questions too, but he always had the perfect answer. I even researched the New York address mine gave me and, guess what? There is or was someone with the name that he used living at that address. The heart believes what the heart wants to believe, unfortunately.

Moriarty
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Moriarty » Thu May 14, 2009 8:43 pm

There's no need to feel ashamed, Miss Willy. I'm 55 and I was taken in as well. If it hadn't been for this site, I might have got drawn further into the scam. Now you've posted this crook's details, you can help others avoid him. Welcome to the site!
Don't want no paper gangsta. (Lady Gaga)

MissWilly
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Thanks everyone for your support!

Postby MissWilly » Thu May 14, 2009 8:52 pm

I just want to say thank you to those members that have been so comforting and supportive - this is a very trying time for me because it's all so fresh. Although I didn't lose any money my emotions were played with and that's why I am here and that's what needs to heal. I do not wish this is on anyone.

It's sad to read about people that have even ended their lives because of losing thousands or their livelihood to romance scams. How these scammers/thieves/liars sleep at night and face themselves daily in the mirror is just beyond me. I think they need to be labelled "savages," not humans.

Thanks everyone for your comfort and support. "This too, shall pass."

strawberryqueen
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby strawberryqueen » Thu May 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Please dear MissWilly, don't be harsh on yourself! You need to take good care of you now, pamper yourself and if you feel like, read the stories from others. You will understand, that those criminals are experts at their crime, experts at manipulation, experts at stealing money from unsuspecting women and men.

You did a great job in unmasking this scoundrel and reporting him here :applause:

mimi30
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Jake Brown (jake_brown004@yahoo.com)

Postby mimi30 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 am

Ms Willy, I wish I had read this earlier.
I was corresponding with this so called Jake Brown and he scammed me for alot of money. I feel like a fool and I am very upset and all I do is cry but it is out of anger for being a fool. I am currently working with the authorties to see if we can track him down. I have file complaint with FBI and US Embassy in Ghana and Us Army. I also have launched an investigation with Western Union cause he had to use ID to pick up money. I also involved Ghana Police.
I know my money is lost but I will be happy if he just gets caught. I also recieved the flowers and teddy bear but could not remember who delivered them but you said you got yours from FTD so I will give them a call and see if they could help me. Again I wish I would have seen this sooner. This has hurt me in many ways and it will be a long time before I will ever trust anyone and emotionally I am crushed and I need to heal. I just don't want this to happen to anyone else.

hunter_hunted
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby hunter_hunted » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:05 am

:D
please, dont feel bad...we are good people
they are only rats, they play with feelings making us feel bad and quilty if we dont help out them, but now might be our turn.
by the way, the flag in the suits its very very bad made....
good hunt.... :applause:
be happy, free your mind
Ateh Malkuth ve-Geburah ve-Gedulah le-Olam Amen...

MissWilly
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby MissWilly » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:01 pm

I have the answer to fixing these scammers that are FLOODING our online dating sites.......just send ONE U.S. MARINE for a few seconds to where these savages are ---- and bang ---- no more scammers!

AlsoScammed
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby AlsoScammed » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:15 am

I also talked to this person and was asked to send money, phone and other items. Supposed he is is Baghdad and coming back on September 29th. He is using the other guy as his agent , named Wisdom Domi, with a really heavy accent. I can provide his phone numbers. Thankfully did not give them any money. I went thru the whole oredeal described by others above. My concern is -- poor soldier, whos picture he is using.

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 am

Yes please, post up everything you have on this person. The more you post the better as it'll allow others to find him too. We're seeing more and more scammers using photos of soldiers recently.

Sandra111
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

George Hulce Rogan (george.hulce@hotmail.com

Postby Sandra111 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:33 am

IP adresses: all in range 41.218.xxx.xxx
inetnum: 41.218.192.0 - 41.218.223.255
netname: ghanatel
descr: Ghana Telecom ADSL DYNAMIC ADDRESS EXPANDED POOL
admin-c: MKN4-AFRINIC
tech-c: MKN4-AFRINIC
mnt-by: GHANATEL-MNT
source: AFRINIC # Filtered

Hello xxxxxxxxxx,
How are you today?....I hope you are fine.Well,I am spending evenings at reading prayer books.I may seem to be a strong personality at first sight, but I need care and affection of a woman as the breath of life.I think that ideal relationships must be build on love and trust. I would like to have a wife,a wife who will take care of her family.I will be a true husband , a good friend and true lover for her....I like to help people, but I do not like deceit. I like children, animals, classical music.I also tend to have a good heart with so much of love to give and to receive.I seek for a complete honest woman,who will come home tome,love me,adore me,a strong woman with a strong heart who will want our relationship to last forever,a compassionate woman,one with good heart and know how to handle matters,I want a lover not a fighter.Take care and enjoy the rest of your day.
I will be online on MSN.
George.....

Hello xxxxxxxxxx,
How are you doing?.....I hope you are fine as am doing here and it always good.I promise to send you some photos and here they come.I hope to see you online later today....So you take care and have a nice day.
kiss
George....

Hello Honey,
How are you today?....I hope you are fine.I'm sorry I miss you yesterday.All work and no play so I also go out to have fun with my boys.I hope you understand this .I wish I could see through your eyes so I would know what you like to see. I wish I knew your wishes, so I could give you everything you want. I wish I dreamed the same dreams you do, and together we could make them come true. I wish I knew what makes you happy, so I could make you the happiest person in the whole world. And lastly, I wish I were a cell in your blood, so I would be sure I was somewhere in your heart.I'm very happy that we like each other and I hope to come to you soon as possible.I feel closer to you than anyone else.The love you so desperately seek is here in my arms.Now I'm telling you that you are the one for me. You’re the one I dream about. No one can make me laugh like you.I've been waiting for you to see the love in my eyes that's only for you. I'll wait forever if that’s how long it takes. I need you. I miss you when you’re gone.I know I can't give you the whole world, but I can promise you I will always love you. My heart is yours.I know I can't give you the whole world, but I can promise you I will always love you. My heart is yours, and I will never break your heart.I think about you all day and I hope we will be together very soon.I will like to end this mail here.So you take care and enjoy the rest of your evening.Hope to chat soon.

George....

On A Mission
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: George Hulce Rogan (george.hulce@hotmail.com

Postby On A Mission » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Yahoo Profile for george.hulce@hotmail.com states the name George with this picture.

Duplicate pics Deleted AN
We are here to help you free of charge
but there are charges to keep this site running.
If we were able to help in any way,
a small donation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

>>REAL FACES OF SCAMMERS<<[/b]

red zora
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: George Hulce Rogan (george.hulce@hotmail.com

Postby red zora » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:05 pm

george.hulce@yahoo.com , because you can find with that tool only yahoo accounts not hotmail accounts ;) "george.hulce" to paste in it's enough
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... =72&t=5149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEAVE YOUR SCAMMER WITHOUT WORDS,TELL HIM NOTHING!!!
How to use this board? Have a look here
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=18&t=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jen
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Has anyone heard of a Captain William?

Postby Jen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I did a search and can't find him anywhere or a picture.
Here is the copy of a letter he sent me..on site....he never looked at my profile. I do have in my profile that I am a Pagan, by the way. . LOL

Hi Pretty, How are you doing today ? Hope by the Grace of God all is well with you as I'm doing here too in Iraq, I was browsing through profiles on this site and I came across yours and it was very heart touching so I thought I should take my time out and write you something first and see where it goes and the reason why I'm writting you is b'cause I felt very interested in your profile and I hope it doesn't bother you of me writing you in anyway and also to let you know that I'm now in Iraq serving here and I will be returning back the u.s soon time and please don't hesitate to ask me anything you want to know about me as I will be very pleases to answer you well and a little about myself I'm Cpt William widower with two adorable boys that means so much to me in my life and I'm a very open minded person,someone who accepts people as they are, I am a fair individual who adapts to changes in life and enjoys life to the fullest,and looking to meet a woman that i can spend the rest of my life with and I'm a God fearing man that seeks God fearing woman in my life as well a woman that believes in herself and I always put God first before herself. I pass through your profile and it was so lovely and sweet and seeing your profile alone i see the source of good thing and i knew coming to you will create a great happiness in my living and in the house of God,So I felt so much interested in you for friendship,love and longtime relationship and something more Important may come up in future so if you wouldn't mind to tell me more about yourself and I will tell you more about myself to in return as well and get to know each other well and see where life will lead us to, One can never tell, But it's only time and God will time tell so if you are Interested in getting to know me well fine.Then you can reach me at kindhearted.haggard1965@yahoo.com and same as yahoo messenger. Thanks You----Hugs.

Captain.William.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Has anyone heard of a Captain William?

Postby Pinky » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Stupid scammer, has no idea what a Pagan even is. Do you have any of the pictures he's using?
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Return to “Military scams”