It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Facebook

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
tommy2k8
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Facebook

Postby tommy2k8 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:42 pm

I posted about a scammer recently - franchesca meller, who posed as Alison Angel - and they have a sneaky way of doing their thing on facebook, making out they're interested in you. I've stopped getting those emails, but it may still be going on

Facebook

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

hazyspringta
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby hazyspringta » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Has anybody else noticed an increase of scammers on Facebook? This is just really bothers me, because people post so many real life details on that site. Since Facebook was built as a networking tool for college students the "kids" seem more trusting. This false sense of security bothers me, compounded by the fact that I have two college aged children.

Here is an example of one lad who has used Facebook to back his story. He claims to be from Texas and in the oil industry. Jeffer$on William$ from Houston Texas, which is posted on this site, has managed to collect 15 friends, mostly from Shell Oil or from a university in Texas. I know of at least two women that he has scammed, and he is using the information he learned from them to enhance his story. He is also on Myspace.

This other one H3nry Campb3ll Sm1th, also posted on this site. He has not been as focused in collecting friends - all of his friends are women. Again, at least two of those "friends" are victims. They could all be potential victims. (One of his victims is in serious denial.)

So if anybody has a profile on Facebook, please feel free to get friendly.
I believe there is a de-education opportunity. Does anybody have any thoughts on that? Has anybody ever heard of "Sk@mford" university?

I don't have time to do much baiting, but I will create some characters if somebody is need of some extra friends. (This does hit an ethical note with me, as it further dilutes the "real" population on Facebook). But it might be necessary. Any thoughts?

irish angel
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

facebook.com....scammers found their way in!

Postby irish angel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:09 am

please be careful when being approached by some people in facebook.com. some guy contacted me in there (url below) and when he replied to an email i sent back to him i started contacting some of the women on his list. he's a scammer!

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/ ... 1630278223[/i]
fool me once ~ shame on me......fool me twice ~ shame on you!

poohbear1
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby poohbear1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 am

There are many on facebook, Are You Interested is the bad part of facebook.

Hexe
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Hexe » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 am

...I had a facebook account to and all suddenly after a long time of silent I recieved like every day up to 5 friend request from all over the world...being an "old baiter" this got me suspicious from the first second so I deleted them all...actually I did delete my account couple weeks ago...
Back to life but always willing to help!!!

Gg*34
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gg*34 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Great to point that out thanks, a thing I learnt is to restrict who is contacting me. Only friends may contact me and so on. I block out the entire public pretty much. ;) :smile: -> friend requests from those I don't know I don't reply, and simple block as well.

truhonesty
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Scammers on facebook

Postby truhonesty » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:12 am

Hi all here,
Glad I found this site and lucky I got wise and decided to investigate further. So I met the man of my dreams through Are You Interested on facebook he was everything I had hoped and dreamed for until he started to ask about money to get from the UK to Australia to spend the rest of our lives together. Ok so the money issue became the main topic of discussion thats when I got sus and did an IP search as well as phone search all pointing to Nigeria. So I made it out before I got to sucked in and now I feel I should share my story with others as well as his details so no one else gets scammed.

hadit
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Scammers on Facebook

Postby hadit » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:45 am

I have been contacted by about 50 scammers the last few months on Facebook (private messages), then I came across this article about a new scam - so please be carefull about who you invite to be friends on Facebook - you are exposing yourself and your friends (and photos):

The latest plan from the Nigerian scammers is to compromise a person's Facebook account, then send messages out to the friend list asking for cash.

These emails, dubbed the Nigerian 419 fraud, are commonly found in inboxes the world over, with bad spelling and grammar from a person claiming to be a Nigerian prince contacting their father's close business contact.

Well, apparently that's not working, so hacking into a person's Facebook account, pretending to be stranded somewhere without a phone and in urgent need of cash is the new way of doing things.

Me crz broked

Usually the poor use of grammar might set the alarm bells ringing... but most people have at least one friend that thinks saying "Me crs now broked, can we do da ting laterz?" (An actual message from a TechRadarite's Facebook inbox) is alright.

Facebook account details have become hot property on the black market for this very reason, as receiving a message from someone via the 'Book is as good as a phone call to some people.

Programs that harvest the details are downloaded from a bogus Facebook message, often asking you to go to a video site to see a movie of yourself, and when asked to 'upgrade' the video player, malware is downloaded instead.

Best get safe from now on then... otherwise all your friends could be angry that you don't even acknowledge their attempts to help get you home

this is the link for the article so you know i aint lying:
http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.asp ... d=10862007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Re: Facebook

Postby Marisa » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:27 am

Romancescam on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/romancesc ... 7182351461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List of scammers on Facebook (including their REAL profiles):
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000589000473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

IceFM

Bookmark and Share

Facebook children asked by fake modelling agencies

Postby IceFM » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Facebook children asked by fake modelling agencies to pose in underwear

Published 16/02/2011 15:06:49 Daily Mail

Leicestershire Police have warned a number of false Facebook profiles appear to have been set up posing as modelling agencies

Parents and children were alerted today to a Facebook scam involving fake modelling agencies.

Leicestershire Police said the scam, using a number of social networking sites, appears to involve the fake agencies encouraging children to pose in their underwear.

The force said it seemed a number of false Facebook profiles had been set up posing as modelling agencies, even using agency logos to appear genuine.

They then contact children via email asking them if they are interested in modelling.

After a series of emails, the children are pressurised into sending photographs of themselves in their underwear.

The force said it was investigating reports from concerned parents.

The modelling agencies appear to be Leicester-based, the force said. The most recent used is the Pat Keeling Modelling Agency, a spokesman added.

Police are working with Facebook for this particular site to be removed but new sites may continue to be set up.

Pat Keeling Modelling Agency does not have a Facebook site, and has pointed this out on its own genuine website.

Pat Keeling today said: 'We would never approach people we do not know, people approach us.

'We do not use social networking sites to contact people.

'If someone is interested in modelling then they should visit a reputable modelling agency and have a face to face chat.'

Detective Sergeant Ed Jones, from Leicestershire Police's paedophile and online investigation team, said: 'Do not be fooled by these emails, a reputable modelling agency would never approach you in this way.

'Do not post pictures online of yourself posing in your underwear and if you are under 18 these photographs may be indecent under UK Law.

'You have no control when posting photos on the internet where they may end up and they could appear on the internet forever.

'If you do find yourself in a situation of this nature online you can use the CEOP Report Abuse Button which in now available as an app on Facebook or contact police.'

He said the website http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; also has more information and advice for anyone concerned by the sites.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+++ The FAQ / FAQ in deutsch +++

lovingheart
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Dectivated My Facebook

Postby lovingheart » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:07 pm

I can't believe I have missed these scammer cases while it has happened for years
I feel like I am just back from an isolated island where there is no new information can come in
Glad finally I found this forum :party: , though it's a little bit too late for me :(

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:22 pm

lovingheart wrote
Glad finally I found this forum , though it's a little bit too late for me
You maybe are late with regards to your first scammer but you are many steps ahead when you meet the next devil.
Take care! Remember don't fall in love again with a foul smelling, heartless, ruthless and shameless scammer.
Last edited by The Wild Geese on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong of being an Engr. as long as you are real. :-)

lovingheart
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby lovingheart » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:40 pm

it is surely the best lesson for me, though i must say he is a sweet evil-hearted scammer that i will never forget :heartbroken:

FELICANA
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby FELICANA » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 am

This the latest news today regarding Facebook. I don't if it is relevant or not

The Borneo Post, Sarawak.

Deputy Foreign Minister says the nursing student was nabbed at Shenzhen Airport, China

KUCHING: A 22-year-old female nursing student from Betong has become the latest Malaysian to be caught in a foreign country for drug smuggling. This was revealed by Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk ************ at a news conference at the Federal Complex here yesterday. He said the suspect, taking a nursing course in a college in Kuala Lumpur, was detained upon her arrival in Shenzhen Airport in Guang Zhou, China on March 11.

“What really upsets us is that the woman who was a private college student in Kota Damansara, Kuala Lumpur, had voluntarily swallowed the pills for just RM5,000 promised to her if she succeeds to bring out the drug.
“She was promised that sum by a South African man known as Chimezie Michael whom she knew through social networking websiteFacebook,” he added.
“The authorities there pulled her in after the narcotics people there detected the substances in her stomach which was said to have weighed between 600 to 700 grams,” he explained.

In the wake of the latest case, **** warned Malaysians, particularly young girls and single mothers, to be cautious when befriending someone through Facebook
“Our advice is always be careful when befriending someone in Facebook to avoid falling victims,” he said.

He said the saddest part was that this is the second case involving Sarawakians over a period of less than six months. “Last year, a teenage girl, a student from Politeknik Matang, Kuching was also caught for alleged drug trafficking. “She innocently carried two bags given to her by a South African man she knew through Facebook. On her arrival in China she was arrested after the authorities found drugs in her bags,” he disclosed.

He said it was a real pity as in most cases the ‘traffickers’ were really innocent parties. Earlier, during the press conference, Riot said the arrests of Malaysians overseas for drug related offences could have been due to the lack of security measures at the international entry points in this country.

However, he said it was not appropriate and unfair for him to comment on the matter as it was under other authorities, adding that all they could do was to bring up the matter to the Cabinet.

“We don’t know what the actual problem is and as such we cannot point fingers at any party anyhow.

“The best is to take up the matter to the Cabinet since we have our meeting every Wednesday, chaired by the Prime Minister,” he disclosed.

He also said his ministry was concerned with the increase in the number of Malaysians being caught overseas for possessing drugs brought in from the country with or without their knowledge. According to him, up to March 31 this year, 11 Malaysians were arrested in China alone.

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:23 am

The first thing Malaysian gov't have to do to lessen their burdens regarding these unwanted visitors is to limit the entrance of these so called Africans entering your country by student visa. But, I can understand that they will be having difficulties to decide because it will be a lost income to the gov't. You know where the rubbish originates. Why not clean up your own backyard!
Sweep them out and send them back where they come from! :evil:
Nothing wrong of being an Engr. as long as you are real. :-)

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”