It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

OkCupid.com - (2011 Update, They're Improving)

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
&TheHorseYouRodeInOn
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby &TheHorseYouRodeInOn » Tue May 27, 2008 7:30 am

I have been a member of this free site now going on 10 months and have yet to run into a scammer. I think it has to do with the questions you answer that form the basis of the matches, but they do some kind of filtering so that there aren't any profiles with no pictures or questions answered. They have tests to take that range from just plain silly to erotic, a personal journal you can fill out and receive comments on, and allow uploads of up to 5 photos (but rearranging them to get the best photo as your main profile pic is a pain).
I find the client base more eclectic than other sites and full of young professionals - at least in the D.C. area.
Last edited by &TheHorseYouRodeInOn on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I wish I would have met you, but now it is a little late. The things you could have taught me, I could have saved some face." Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Tue May 27, 2008 8:27 am

This is good that people post positives as well! :grin: We need them too.

But I have one comment about OKcupid. Recently they hired a bunch of idiots from India who are doing totally dishonest promotion to their site: they place fake profiles on other dating sites and start spamming members. This is for example the registration I got from OKcupid on my site:

Username: sandra12
Email: okcupidlinks@gmail.com
Signup IP: 59.95.206.203
female 25 years old
United States, California

A person pretending to be a girl from California (in reality a guy form India) was trying to spam my members, getting them to join OKcupid. This is unaccaptable: to keep your own site clean, but infesting others with fake profiles.

they are also heavily spamming message boards, they even registered at 419eater and started spamming there, look at this: :lol:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132796

OKCupid!!! if you want to keep the reputation of a good, serious site that you had all these years, fire those idiots from India, they are HURTING your site's reputation!!
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

&TheHorseYouRodeInOn
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby &TheHorseYouRodeInOn » Tue May 27, 2008 8:43 am

Interesting, Marisa! Thanks for the info. I guess there should be a subsection here for dating sites with good people, but piss poor management :grin:
"I wish I would have met you, but now it is a little late. The things you could have taught me, I could have saved some face." Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot

Angel1961
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Okcupid

Postby Angel1961 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 am

I have a profile there and this is a big scam site, really! I have met 15 scammers on there in the last month. I was talking to a man that was suppose to be in the UK and when I told him that I knew the man in that picture (which I did not, just saw the pic at another site and knew it was a scammer). Anyhow, he switched pics and tried to get money out of me, not no more. So this site you must be leary of as well....

Pete
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pete » Fri May 30, 2008 10:44 pm

They were also stupid enough to join 419eater, and spam that board!!!

The hired spammers were plugging the the site to BAITERS in the love scam forum!

:silly:
Never send money to somebody you only know from the internet, or phone calls!

Please support this site

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Fri May 30, 2008 10:49 pm

actually, they are pluggining it not to baiters. they are plugging it to a website with a high Google PR, and since nobody removed spam, their position in Google will improve now.. :-( All spamming is always about Google.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Pete
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pete » Fri May 30, 2008 10:57 pm

Yes.....I hope eater has removed it

:-(
Never send money to somebody you only know from the internet, or phone calls!

Please support this site

carley
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby carley » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Found alot of scammers on this site so I would say be very careful who you meet here.

Some have same pic posted with different names on here. :shock:

&TheHorseYouRodeInOn
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby &TheHorseYouRodeInOn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:59 am

Hi Carley,

Have to agree. A Philippino nurse friend of mine was scammed big time from a guy she met on this site (info posted in the white males section), in a sophisticated way. Once he learned her phone number and family history (a brother who is a merchant seaman), he text messaged her pretending to be her brother stuck in Nigeria. She lost nearly $5000.

I notified the site, but nothing was done and his profile is still there. She has also pointed out a couple of other male scammers that are contacting friends of hers. I have been contacted twice in the last month by confirmed scammers. Again, nothing is done by the admins to remove.

This site didn't used to be this way, but has clearly gotten worse, so I will edit the subject to read 'negative'

CapnChitlin
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby CapnChitlin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:31 am

I have encountered a few scammers here over the years. Actually the first message i received aside from the welcome email was from a Nigerian scammer. I have also gotten a few Russian scammers as well.

Gg*34
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gg*34 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:56 pm

A decidedly mixed review concerning OKcupid.com. I do agree both positives and negatives and mixed experiences with any site should be reported ;)

Hello there, I joined this site hoping to meet a local from Vancouver, Canada the city where I live. Interestingly enough they do have a large section of locals from my city surprising for a free dating site. yet in my exxperience Vancouver, Canada is not an easy place to meet people for dating particularly with people my age 31, or particularly younger. I have not encountered scammers here just yet its a matter of time (very shortly). I usually report them (in the site) and block them. I have seen my fair share of Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers of other sites. Yet I am only posting my own experience with OKCupid. If it's one thing I learnt so far, as difficult as it is (in my experience) is to "search local or close by". I cannot say for every one else. Its safe to say "scammers are every where", need I say more, lol :smile:

PS: On datemefree .com I have a total count of 324 scammers blocked, wow. That is a lot but not surprising for that site though, lol :grin:

a_g
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby a_g » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:44 pm

I've still not had any encounters (to my knowledge) with any scammers on OkC and I've been a member for a few months now.

Of course, I'm not THAT active either and I have seen many questionable profiles. But, I don't contact those profiles and they don't contact me.

The way I see it, OkC is guilty of having a large database with quite a few inactive and/or non-serious profiles. But saying they're scammer-infested, I'm not so sure.

aupete
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby aupete » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:40 pm

I have had only one scammer on OkCupid, and it was very obvious. I have posted this on a thread by cheesepickle. But I have met some very good friends here as well...people I have met and still am in contact with. Some are very local to me and we meet on a regular basis for a coffee and a chat. Scammers seem to get on most sites, but this does not mean the site is another nicebrides.com as such.
I think that with all the scams out there, we tend to lose sight of the real purpose that we are here in the first place....to find a soul mate!!!

Marlene1105
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: OkCupid.com - now a NEGATIVE!

Postby Marlene1105 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:20 pm

I belonged to OKCupid.com for less than a week and was approached by a Scammer. He claimed to be an Engineer from Delaware working in Nigeria repairing pipe lines. He told me his name was Terry Fred Baltimore. (Yahoo ID is Terryfred87@yahoo.com.) I was also approached by a Scammer on Seniorpeople.com. He claimed to live in FL and indicated that he was a successful businessman. He told me his name was Michael Kenneth. (Yahoo ID is MichaelKenneth98@yahoo.com.) I think these scumbags go to all of these on-line dating Sites in hopes that someone will respond to them.

SimPlyMe
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: OkCupid.com - now a NEGATIVE!

Postby SimPlyMe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:00 pm

I have been on OkCupid since early this year.

I got to know this guy who was so perfect initially. He looks normal, speaks good english, even got a nice british accent. He removed his profile not long after we chatted on MSN, saying that since he needs to focus on his business, he do not want to waste time searching, and also he thinks we match quite well. He seems normal, not bragging too much about himself, says he don't make too much money. But will have enough to see me thru my studies if I move there. He told me he would visit me during one of his upcoming business trip near my region. Eventually, I even agreed to transfer my studies to UK just to be with him!

Well, then he told me he had some financial problems with his company and needed some cash for just in case. then only I become suspicious. I Googled his email address: robanderson1936@hotmail.com , there's no results, but i found his 'mobile' number is actually one of those "Personal Number" which are common for scammers. Though I did not send any money to him, as I made it clear I have none since I'm a poor student myself. He removed me from his MSN soon after.

Now my worry is he might have my photos, profiles and videos for other purposes.
:(
I LuV U. Not So Much For What U R.
As For What I Am. When I Am WiTh U.
ELiZaBeth BaRRett BrowNing

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”