It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Match.com - NEGATIVE!

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
eagle90805
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

MATCH.COM IS A SCAMMER SITE!

Postby eagle90805 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:00 pm

Here is an emal letter I sent to MATCH.COM today. I demand a full refund of my 3 month payment... Or I will take legal action.

Dear Match.com
I have been contacted by a number of scammers listed on the romancescam.com website. Please remove this so called "girl" from your site as she is a being frauded. Her picture was stolen as it appears from the focushawaii.com website. loveexpress54

You are in violation by enabling fradulent scammers on your site. These people have tried to swindle money from me as a result of Match.com. I want a full refund or I will contact my lawyer. Other scammers on your site: These people have contacted me from your site and are all overseas smammers posing as US citizens.
They are listed as a scammer on romancescam.com

rita_harding@talkmatch.com
tatyanabunnies@talkmatch.com
carolsharewink caroline_douglas00@yahoo.com
sharfik@talkmatch.com
elen@talkmatch.com
elena@talkmatch.com also as
lenochichek@yahoo.com
this girl was listed at one time on your site recently

HERE IS AN ACTUAL EMAIL SENT ON YOUR SITE

To: eagle908 (eagle908@talkmatch.com)
Date received: July 14, 2006
Subject:
Hello am jenny ,am a young lady with dreams and am looking for the right man to make thise dreams a reality,when i went through ur profile i really liked it and found both of us compatible,the only %1 missing is that right now am not home,am stucked up in africa and i need help to get back home.if you can give us a try and help me back home am sure we can makes something work outa this.
After the death of my parent i met a guy called Lawrence in Washington though he's from nigeria in africa, he came for a degree in the state when.i fell in love with him and when he returned to his country he asked me to come see him so i gathered some money and got myself a round trip ticket,when i got down here he turned out to be a robber he stole my money and jewelries now the hotel manager am staying siezed my return ticket cuz am owing some money,so i'll like you to help me with the bills so i can get back my ticket and get home,i promise you'll never regret u did. u can add or email me to xproject_jenny@hotmail.com or xproject_jenny@yahoo.com

MATCH.COM IS A SCAMMER SITE!

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

kc132
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Match.com

Postby kc132 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:48 am

You are right... Match.com is full of scammers. Before I was scammed I had no idea about stuff like this and assumed this was an innocent way of meeting people... but after I spent an hour or so researching scam artists and their profiles I easily within my search radius found 6 scammers in a rural Pennsylvania setting 50 miles of my location.... and found I had unknowingly been approached or was approached by 3 of them :shock:

thegirl
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

match.com

Postby thegirl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:41 pm

did Match.com refund your money? Within the last two days I have reported 4.

I think I will give the site a once over again....I have been contacted by two and found their pictures...the the pictures they use on that site.

This site has been a wealth of information for me.....thank you to the creators and owners, moderators and all that have given feedback and information.

Shashlik
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

What have U learned, that now makes you smarter about this?

Postby Shashlik » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:03 am

Hi-
I would like some feedback from people who wish to share some "tips and strategies" that they have learned, that now protects them from being potentially ripped off or emotionally entangled, with scammers at dating sites, on the Internet.

I will share things that I have seen, from some foreign women, that raises red flags, in my mind:

1) "I have shown your letters to my mother [or, father] and she [he] approves of us." (If not a parent, substitute best friend)

Note: Usually within a very short time the woman says something like that
And, it is a prelude to an ensuing ruse...to get you to open up your wallet.
Fortunately, I have not opened my wallet to any, yet.

2) The woman tells of a very-recent tragic death in the family and then asks for money to feed herself and her two orphaned siblings which she must now feed and clothe, all by herself.

Please share some "tip-offs" that you, yourself, have noticed or learned.

And, oh I forgot--

3) [One woman in particular] said that she was married to an American and they lived in xxxxx, NV. (The xxxxx represents a town with a name that is made-up, or fictitious. There is no such place; and, if a woman like that had ever lived in the U.S.A., it is probably a good idea to get her to please tell you again where it was that she lived.)

Hint: If she cannot come up with the correct name of the city--after being asked, again--it is probably something you may wish to keep in the back of your mind as being dubious, at best.

If this is helpful to just one person, then it will have been worth my time to make such a contribution, here.
Knowledge is power

miraculous_mandarin
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby miraculous_mandarin » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:11 am

I just joined Match.com and was immediately contacted once I had uploaded a picture of myself. Of course, after exchanging e-mails with this person, I smelled a rat. The individual never answered any of my questions, so I did some research, and guess what...yep, the pictures are of a well known scammer.

During our e-mail exchange, this person kept asking me for pictures of myself. Who is to say that they aren't trying to create a scam using MY pictures on some unsuspecting woman?

Geez, I'm sure glad I joined the on-line dating scene. What a load of BS.

barbara paterson
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby barbara paterson » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:48 pm

I am with Match.com and a guy contacted me calling me "Cutie" and "Sweetie" on the very first email. I have to admit that he was good-looking so I replied asking him to tell me about himself. he didnt have much to say other than he was a widower with a 7-year old daughter called Jane. He was a construction engineer from Chicago and was in Nigeria building a stadium. He was full of romantic gestures at the beginning: sending me love poems, sending a birthday card, promisiing to take me to Chicago with him. Then all that stopped and the next tactic came into play. He asked if there was a branch of Lloyds TSB near where I lived, unwittingly, I said "yes" so he asked if I could open an acct for him in my name so he could send a cheque for ?4000 and then transfer it by Western Union. I said I couldn't do that. He then started with a sob story that he needed money to pay hotel bills and wanted to leave Nigeria asap to be with his daughter. He asked me how much I could afford to give him. I smelt a rat right from the beginning, things werent right. He then accused me of not trusting him and played on making me feel guilty. He kept changing his username on match.com and altering the profile. If i asked him questions about himself, he would go offline. His latest name is Lloyds Hamilton. He has since disappeared off Match.com, but who knows, may come back under yet again a different name!

danwest58
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby danwest58 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:43 am

WOW Match.com worked for you people? god I must have done something wrong in the 2 years I was on that site I was contacted by 1 girl and her and I did meet. She did live in my area but she was not interested in me because her ex BF who had no high school education but had a well built body wanted her back. After that I kinda thought that people on that site where flaky. I been trying to find someone for myself I know I am only 26 but I have tried Match.com, Eharmony, Yahoo personals, friendfinder and american singles. The best one I found for meeting people was Yahoo but even they where well lets just say had mental issues. The reason why I try the online dating is my work hours and I take online classes which leaves me no time to go out on Friday or Saturdays when normal people do. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for me?

Dan

sadsinglemom
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Match.com does not care

Postby sadsinglemom » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:43 pm

Match.com does not care if you have been a victim of scamming off their site. They refused to refund me $39.76 even though I had just been scammed out of $20,000.00! They even had the nerve to charge me for their international site because the person contacting me was from Ghana - not California as his bogus 'profile' said.

The person who scammed me is in Accra, Ghana and uses the name Raymond E Hughes. He used the Match.com account of Winmyheart2007.

He claimes to export fruit/vegetables to Malyasia and Ghana.

I was scammed very badly and I thought I was stupid but I am not. I was too emotionally trusting and these rotten people prey on emotion rather than logic. Many times I caught myself asking questions but I went along with the scam in spite of my gut telling me otherwise.

This scammer is an extreme professional. I even received a check for $24,500 in the mail but I gave it to the US Postal Service and filed a report as well after checking with the company who told me 'the check you have is a fake.'

Be extremely cautious and ALWAYS FOLLOW WHAT YOUR GUT IS TELLING YOU!!!!!!!

rockclassic
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby rockclassic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:01 pm

Barbara, he is back as Lloyds Greg Hamilton. I know someone that has been talking to him for 3 months. He was back on Match, February 25, as LGH60602, but then disappeared He appeared on Match, March 14, as WHITEBIRDS01. He is a real smooth talker, with the poems, email cards from LOVINGYOU.COM. He is no longer on Match.com, but he is on MYSPACE as many men, different ages, no kids, different cities all over the UNITED STATES. I have found him as so many different names, I don't know how he keeps it all straight. But I am a normal person, and I DON"T GO AROUND BREAKING INNOCENT PEOPLE"S HEARTS EITHER!!!!

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Match.com - NEGATIVE!

Postby Marisa » Tue May 27, 2008 4:44 am

While match.com is not the worst paid site out there, and DOES remove scammers rather fast after reports, but for THAT price they should do IP checks and not allow scammers to register and pay with the stolen credit cards.

Their IP system is very stupid: they ban Russia from the site, while Russian scammers usually don't register through Russian IPs, they register through American socks proxies. So, they ban real honest Russian people, and freely allow scammers through proxies on!

For the price they charge, they should have enough staff and do a better job, also watching for American and UK profiles with African IPs. Not worth your money, since you are not safe there.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

&TheHorseYouRodeInOn
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

agematch.com

Postby &TheHorseYouRodeInOn » Tue May 27, 2008 7:19 am

AgeMatch.com is an affiliated sub-program, and I assume they use the same poor filtering system Marisa describes. They have removed profiles I've pointed out to them as scammers, but do not have a wide enough 'reasoning' choice in their report system. So you have to select a reason you are reporting them that doesn't always match the real reason. I've pointed that out to them, as well as given them some basic tips for stopping scammers before they register, to no avail.

My personal count...21 scammers and 1 real person so far met through 'wink' or correspondence
"I wish I would have met you, but now it is a little late. The things you could have taught me, I could have saved some face." Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot

sakis72
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby sakis72 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Whenever I log in on Match, I am sure that within 10 minutes I will receive a mail from some african girl…
They simply look at the 'who is online' page of the site and send letters to every man or so.

LeoMane
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Match.com.. not so bad for me

Postby LeoMane » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:46 pm

I used to be on match.com and actually hooked up with some nice local ladies. (I am still friedns with a couple of them!) Maybe I did OK because I usually ignored anyone who was not local to me (I would not go beyond a reasonable driving distance for a date).
I did however, encounter a couple of women who wanted to me to go to some other website that turned out to be a sex cam site where they were and one had to pay to join etc, etc... I call these "miners" who are looking for guys to view them on their webcams.
All in all, my experience was not too bad.
I recall getting maybe one or two interests from someone who turned out to be from Russia. But I ignored them....

lonely_you
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby lonely_you » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Recently I checked out the profiles on Match and found one picture used on 4 different profiles. Each of the 4 profiles were listed as "new". I also saw familiar faces from the Scammers album.

ucantbserious
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

match.com is a real disppointment

Postby ucantbserious » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:23 am

Over the course of 30 days I encountered 20 scammers, reported some of them but most had been deleted before I could report them. I spoke with customer service about the problem but they seemed less than interested. Perhaps with the number of scammers reduced, so would their income be reduced. My latest tactic has been not to immediately contact someone I'm interested in but rather, add to my favorite list then see if they still have a profile after a week.
Some days all I want to be is a missing person!

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”