Are scammers invading Facebook?

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends

Re: Are scammers invading Facebook?

Postby Cherish on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:51 pm

My scammer found me in facebook. He has in his profile 5/6 frineds only, all of them with business man ocupation.

Now I realize all of them are scammers too, maybe the same scammer with different stolen pictures.

They do not waste their time. seems to me like hungry wolves!!!!
Cherish
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby scottishladyca on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:05 am

I have even had female scammers on facebook trying to make friends with me.. then asking for money for a sick relative.. I have even had them saying they live in the same city as I do and yet they still try to scam me - I can usually catch them by asking some local questions which if course they cannot answer..

I am starting to wonder if most of these social and dating sites are basically a feeding ground for these bottom feeders... I am sick and tired of every email I open being a scammer..

Am I the only person getting very disillusioned with these sites.. there is obviously no way to stop these people and I am starting to think anybody who is real are finding out they are not worth joining.
scottishladyca
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby stupidlyscammed on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 am

Dear scottishladyca
There are real people in those dating sites. I found a couple of very nice real normal people. A couple in a few dozens though, mind you. Although I actually wish some people with really lewd proposals during their first letters or email can be 'eliminated'. :lol:
stupidlyscammed
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Mapbella on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 pm

To reply to the original message of this post, it certainly looks like FB is being invaded by all scammers! What a pity.
Mapbella
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby saddened by it all on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:24 am

Yes they are invading facebook. I was approached by a scammer on facebook messaging. I spent 3 months falling in love with lies. The profile picture seemed real and so did his stories then!!!
He never did ask me to be his friend on facebook but i did check his profile and it seemed real. He did only have about 9 friends mostly other woman, probably being scammed as well.
saddened by it all
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Mymelody on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:43 pm

The evil who scammed me found me on facebook. His FB profile appears to be legitimate to me, with 30 friends, 6 white males (most likely scammers too), and the rest are females, and his photos seem real too. After I found out I was scammed, I checked his friends list and found that some have disappeared from the list. He seems to be scamming his female friends at the same time :evil:. I reported him to FB right after the scam. When I checked his account on FB, he is still there and he has new set of female friends again that he is intending to scam.

Then, 2 weeks after I found out I was scammed, there were two strangers who messaged me again on facebook. It's so obvious that they are scammers, so I blocked them immediately. Yes, facebook is now invaded by scammers. I have changed my privacy setting so that only friends of friends can send me friend request and can send me messages.
What goes around comes around. You reap what you sow.
Mymelody
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Ralph Warner on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Mymelody wrote: I have changed my privacy setting so that only friends of friends can send me friend request and can send me messages.

This is definately better than allowing anybody to contact you but still not good enough for my liking, all it takes is for one of your friends to allow a scammer to be their friend and you are back with the same concerns.

Refuse contact with anybody you dont know, regardless of if they have befriended one of your friends
"Thou shall read thy FAQ" CLICK HERE for salvation
Has your scammer sent you to any websites, it may have been fake.
Ralph Warner
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Mymelody on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:30 pm

I was a very trustful person before I was scammed, that's why this SOB scammer took advantage of my weakness. I have learned my lesson well in a very expensive way :( . Losing money is one thing, but it's the emotional thing that is so painful to deal with. I don't want to go through the same nightmare again. It's been almost 2 months but I'm still hurting. Now, I just don't want to trust anybody whom I don't know. I have also learned to follow my gut feel. I am now a victim so maybe my name is on their top contact list. New scammers are popping up on my FB (that's why I changed my setting) and on YM requesting me to add them as IM buddy. Dang, they just don't want to stop!
What goes around comes around. You reap what you sow.
Mymelody
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:26 pm

You can and will trust again, Melody. The scammers are running rampant on the entire Internet. I have my settings on FB set to the most restrictive and am hardly bothered by them, but occasionally a suspicious one tries to befriend me. You can message back and forth without accepting their friendship. In the messages it's fairly quick and easy to discern whether or not you should trust. Like you said, most of these idiots are painfully obvious from the start, but occasionally an experienced and proficient one will fool even me for a couple of messages. But don't worry, if you read around here for awhile, you'll find all sorts of clever ways to smoke them out so you can trust again.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

Postby Buffy on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 am

Well I am back and know for sure that the guy is a scammer, and should have known from the begining, but was a fool to think they would never get into facebook. A fool to think everyone on FB had to be real, lol, such a fool I was. So I am posting his information and fb profile today in the scammers section. He has kept on sending me messages as FB has changed so much, I thought I had blocked him, but apparently he still gets through some how. He keeps begging for money to send him to help hime out and to get back home, same ole, same ole.

Just got another scammer that contected me 4 days ago, wow, hwo fast they work. This one says he is in the UK and after 2 days of chatting is already asking for money to buy a gift for his daughter, I can now at least say I can recogninze a scammer a lot faster than before, I still wish they were "Real" as as Melody has said, he hurts emotionaly a lot more than the finacail part. Meoldy, I am sorry that you got hurt, but you are not alone, I went through this last year and it was VERY difficult for me, as I didn't even know and was swept off my feet after 4 months, and yes I kept in contact with this guy for a very long time, he asked me to marry him, plan a wedding and everything, and I foolishly did, sent pictures of wedding attire for him to choose from and made reservations for his family a place to stay and guess what, he didn't show up the day before the wedding and never would ever show up!!! I was devesated and heartbroken, but NOW I am alot wiser, more careful and actualy like messing with their heads now, lol, although I should just delete them and go on, I let them think for a couple of weeks that they have found someone, hoping maybe I am keeping them occupied so they can keep from scamming someone else. Beleive it or not the guy that I fell for last year, tried to contact me again this year a couple of months ago, I was like how dare you and never spoke to him again, but did tell him off in not so nice terms, lol. NEVER let them know you know they are a scammer and where you got your information. I never want them on this site and sooooooooooooooooo VERY thankful for this site becuase without it I would have NEVER known about the guy, I am truly grateful for all those who work for FREE to provide us all with hope, help, encouragement, and TRUTH!!! I also like to think I am a lot wiser now and not throwing my heart out like that ever again with someone online. If I want to date again, I gotta see the person in person not online, lol!! Don't get me wrong, I do beleive some of the dating sites have real people on them, but I just not going to be on them any more, lol!! Thanks again everyone who keeps us all informed, will be posting the info I have on the two new scammers I got. Thanks By the way can anyone tell me where this number is from, got a call from the "New Scammer" today and didn't recoginze the number and it will not google for me: 441212884599 thanks
Buffy
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:00 am

I haven't checked that number but it looks like a UK cell. African scammers scam victims into sending them cell phones.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:07 am

UK cell numbers start with 07 (but now 070).

ukphoneinfo.com/search.php?GNG=01212884599&Submit=Submit&d=nl says it's a number in Birmingham.
wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby Lioness1 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 am

I was also found by my scammer on Facebook.

The reason to get a member of this social community was: a well-known German actress once said in an interview, that she was also there, so she could see with whom her daughters communicate! I also thought" "This it is!" Three adult sons, the youngest, 24, still studying in Heidelberg, telling a mother only what they want to, but conversely she does the same! Just the oldest recognizes me as a "Friend"! How nice!

So, in January 2011, I came to Facebook, with no picture, no information about me and so on. On the Internet there is no cross-reference to my name or Facebook and me. Many of the around 120 contacts are former work colleagues, school friends and study colleagues of my sons, even some of their parents. For a long time, I was a parents highschool spokeswoman.

No strangers!
Security?

Today, after my experience with the scam, I know, there is NO! Urging of friends, we didn`t met over many years, finally I put on a profile photo of me. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by my scammer. That is one side, the other, the reflexion to leave again. Since some time, I sometimes get requests, there were women and also two times black men of Tanzania. I detleted everything, knowing after deletion traces leaves on the Internet forever!

But strangely, at the same time as me, my future scammer volunteered on Facebook (January 25th, 2011). Random? With his old profile, he is no longer represented there - let`s guess: with a new one, or?!
Lioness1

Bookmark and Share

Postby Lioness1 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Today, 5.18 pm, I sent an Email to:
email address removed.-SH
Editor of Germans most famous magazine "STERN"

Note:
Your Facebook comment from December 8th, 2011
"Get out of Facebook"

"Dear Mr. Jörges,

for years I have been following your comments, even on TV. Somewhat also happened to me out of ignorance and naivety - and on Facebook.

I am a trained banker, freelancing for a real estate company, living alone for several years, formed entirely. Before I write everything down to you, please click on the following page:

Ryan Addison rynddsn@yahoo.com. You will come to the page of Romancescam.com, there you are shown to a big part of my story. I am glad to have become a member of this community, and now I try to help other victims of fraud to get over the trauma of time. Some of them lost about $ 60.000,-- to Nigerian scammers, many met their scammers on Facebook. To honorary, I want to try to provide assistance to those affected (also in German and French language).
It all started with me on Facebook, too.

Romancescam.com, with nearly 40.000 members in all continents, wants to educate the public more, so people, mostly over 40 years, have been warned. I never heard about this in the media. In addition sacrificid work is being operated. I`m just a small cog of it.

December 8th, 2011, 5.17 pm, I gave a comment on your topic on Facebook Stern.de Digital:

"He`s right, here is buzzing a lot, you can even watch it, but as long as nothing happens even to you....! I agree with you fully!"

My adress and phone number
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

Thanks ahead
Yours sincerly

XXXXXXX

I`ll report back after message!

To avoid spammers, please do not post personal business email address.-SH
Lioness1

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Many blessings to you Lioness. We are grateful for your support!
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

PreviousNext

Return to Support and Advice.