How to convince someone they are being scammed?

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends

How to convince someone they are being scammed?

Postby ScamHunter007 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 pm

I have an 80 year old friend who is being scammed by a guy from Ghana. She has been with him for over a year and sent him thousands of dollars. Her family has tried everything they can to convince her he is a scammer, but she refuses to believe them. The scammer keeps telling her that her family is jealous and wants to take away her happiness. I have done some research and found places where this scammer used the same picture under a different names, and I want to send that to her, but I believe she will just forward it to the scammer who will say his picture was stolen and then he will go clean up those sites. I want to point her to the entries about the scammer in this website, but I am afraid she will see the emails of hers that I posted and get really upset, and she will probably pass any links to this site on to the scammer, which I hear is a big no-no. I believe the only thing that might convince her is if I can record the guy in his own voice saying he is a scammer, or finding the pictures he uses on a modeling website (haven't found them yet and looked at every site I can locate). Any suggestions on what else I can do?
Thanks!
ScamHunter007
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: How to convince someone they are being scammed?

Postby FrumpyBB on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:35 pm

It will no doubt be very hard but not impossible.
Show her the collected evidence that she is not talking to a real perseon, instead to an online money thief.
What are the pictures he uses (search with scamdigger.com), what are his email addies, phone numbers, IPs?
More info on this scammer is needed before we, or anyone, can point you, and consequently your friend, towards proof.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Use Spokeo
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby ScamHunter007 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:44 pm

I have collected as many emails that I can and looked up the IP address. They all come from Ghana, but she would explain this since he told her he had been kidnapped in that country and now that she paid his ransom he needs money to bring gold back to the US. I have rounded up as many pictures of him as I can along with all of the email addresses and names. I posted them at this site under viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28078 (my entry is about the 5th one down under Harold Anagnoson posted by ScamHunder007). I had an FBI agent visit with her and tell her that it was a scam but she just argued. Any doubts we can plant in her brain are erased after she spends some time on the phone with this guy. There may not be a way to convince her, and she will be out of money soon. He may give up on her when she is bankrupt.
ScamHunter007
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 pm

I believe you have already done most that is actually possible...including talking to her personally, having the police involved, having someone she trusts present her the proof that this innocent man´s photos are indeed being used by a number of independant Nigerian/Ghanaian scammers for romance scams.

(Cut her off the net!)

Sorry. I know of nothing else. And many would have been grateful if they had had a friend like you who has tried to convince them that it´s all just burning money and wasting emotions and nothing else that´s in a love scam :(
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Use Spokeo
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:21 am

You already have all the proof a person in their right mind needs. She is mentally incompetent to handle her own financial affairs. Let her be in love but get a family member to legally become her financial representative. With the proof you have that should not be hard. Like I said, let her have het love. When the money is cut off he will go away.

If no family member will step up to the plate, then tell her exactly what I said and suggest she find out how much he really loves her by cutting off funds herself. I can guarantee her, first he'll try to make her feel guilty, when that doesnt work, he'll get nasty and demanding. He'll throw in alot of begging, pleading, desperate circumstances and bigger and greater catastrophies. Then he'll try blackmail and last he'll make death threats. Never will he show himself as a genuine, compassionate and understanding lover (for more that 5 minutes, anyway).
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

Postby Ralph Warner on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:42 am

Dont ever think that because she herself has ran out of money that she cant be scammed further.

Victims of romance scams have been known to send their rent money, money to pay for food or money to pay for medication, they will sell assests, borrow money and some will even steal to help the love of their life.

The scammer could send fake money orders or fake checks for her to cash or deposit money from a compromised bank account and then have her forward the proceeds by Western union to find out later that she is liable for the full value of anything she cashed / received.

It could be the scammer sending her goods that she should forward to the scammer, again, paid for by compromised bank account, he could employ her to print and send his fake checks for him or have her open bank acounts for him to use.

People often wonder what a scammer sees in a victim that has no money, the answer is still money, he will just take a different road to getting it.

One thing that we could try is to contact her ourselves, sometimes having an email from somebody like us makes the difference and I am willing to give it a go, either that or smash her computer which would work for a while too.

If you prefer me to try emailing over smashing her computer then i will need as much information as you can give me, you can PM any personal details but I do want to know everything.

Dont give up just yet, but it is a reality that some people never accept the truth
"Thou shall read thy FAQ" CLICK HERE for salvation
Has your scammer sent you to any websites, it may have been fake Click Here to find out more
Ralph Warner
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ScamHunter007 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:25 pm

I noticed I never updated this post to tell what happened. So here goes...

My friend was not accepting the fact that the man she loved was a scam artist even after all of the proof I had collected. I decided to try something new. I found the Facebook page of the scammer and checked it every day to see what women became 'friends' with him. I would then contact them through Facebook messages and let them know that the guy was a scammer. Some wrote back and thanked me for letting them know, while others mentioned that they had already sent him money. I asked each one if they would help me convince my friend. Some agreed and I put them in touch with my friend. After my friend heard 3 women tell the same story about the guy, she finally started to question him. Unfortunately that still wasn't enough to break her free.

So I thought more outside the box. I figured if she would believe anything some fake guy would tell her then I would become a another fake guy. I created an identity of a guy who tracked scammers and had noticed she was listed as a friend of his on Facebook. I became friends with her through email and each time the scammer would make her feel guilty about questioning him I was there to convince her otherwise. It took a full year to get to finally break off contact and she has been free of that guy ever since.

So if you are in the situation I was, please don't give up. Just think outside the box and try new ways of reaching your family or friends.
-ScamHunter007
ScamHunter007
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:47 pm

:applause: I'm glad you found a way to get through and I appreciate the update. Thanks!
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

Postby nori_west81 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:42 am

Help scamhunter!! I have a freind that I think is being scammed. He's been talking to this person for almost a year. They've never met or even Skyped. Right away it was fishy to me. She claims to be from USA,an orphan with a 5 million inheritance that is being stolen by whomever her father designated to watch over it. My freind will not listen to reason. He wires her money western union and though claimed recently that this person even offered him " job opportunities " . I got info from scam groups that any jobs they offer usually means bogus checks/money orders or reshipping. I told him this and he flipped out and changed his number because to scare him I said I was going to call his parole officer as a welfare check. He accused me of trying to ruin his life and slandering the woman he intends on marrying. Right away she told him to keep the $ secret even from his family. He fell right in for her game and is too blind to see. His asnger over my comments about cashing checks ect..seems like he has done it and or was offered by the scammer. He's on parole,unemployed,gets ssi,and believes that some fake millionaire is in love with him and be his wife. He's so in denial and believes her story about her "stolen inhertitance'. I really thought he'd get suspicious of her story after a month or two but he still delusioned and its going on 10 months. Everyone tells me the scammer will go once he can't pay anymore but he gets ssi which is guaranteed each month. I'm at my witts end . this scammer must be real good or he's just ignoring signs. He's 32 years old and not a man of means. Any suggestions?
nori_west81
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

last hope to save a freind

Postby nori_west81 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:58 am

I have a freind that I think is being scammed. He's been talking to this person for almost a year. They've never met or even Skyped. Right away it was fishy to me. She claims to be from USA but of course is in nigeria ,an orphan with a 5 million inheritance that is being stolen by whomever her father designated to watch over it. My freind will not listen to reason. He wires her money western union and has an answer for everything when challenged about this person. He just says i only know tidbits and not even close to know what he knows about this person and that they have proven themselves trustworthy. He even claimed recently that this person even offered him " job opportunities " . I got info from scam groups that any jobs they offer usually means bogus checks/money orders or reshipping. I told him this and he flipped out and changed his number because to scare him I said I was going to call his parole officer as a welfare check. He accused me of trying to ruin his life and slandering the woman he intends on marrying. Right away she told him to keep the $ secret even from his family. He fell right in for her game and is too blind to see. His anger over my comments about cashing checks ect..seems like he has done it and or was offered by the scammer. He's on parole,unemployed,gets ssi,and believes that some fake millionaire is in love with him and be his wife. He's so in denial and believes her story about her "stolen inhertitance'. I really thought he'd get suspicious of her story after a month or two,but he still delusioned and its going on 10 months. Everyone tells me the scammer will go once he can't pay anymore but he gets ssi which is guaranteed each month. I'm at my witts end . this scammer must be real good or he's just ignoring signs. He's 32 years old and not a man of means. Im convinced its really a man. They mostly message because he said he can telll how she writes/expresses herself that its a woman. I told him about the fake skype videos and how they always have some sort of emergency needing $ and will never come to be with him. Just that people will give $ based on promises of somebody hr hasn't even met or seen on video chat. he is a know it all and will not hear of it. Finally i said to test her loyalty he shoukd cut funds and not tell her for how long. Idk if he's going to do it but he said he could always say no to her requests for $. I know he won't because deep down i think he knows what will happen. He just looks at it as he is helping the woman he loves and intends to marry and this is his duty as a man. His cousin even tried to tell him but to no avail. He suggested i just let him get a wake up call on his own. I've backed off but am so worried. Help!!!
nori_west81
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 pm

nori_west81

Welcome to RS. You are such a good friend !!!
Please call WU anonymous call and red flag your friend's name. Tell them that he is manipulated and brainwashed by Nigerian Mafia and pulled deeply into a romance scam.

He is not talking with a girl who is in Nigeria. He is talking with ring of 6-8 MALES who are sitting 24/7 in shifts in internet cafes and defraud millions of innocent people out of their hard earned money,..some with higher pitch voice playing roles of woman. Trust me white woman in Nigeria would be kidnapped and forced into white prostitution or robbed in daylight and dead. But first of all there is no way to board the plane if she is not doctor or church representative on the mission....

Please know that the scammer is a psychological illusionist, able to convince anyone to believe in the illusion he created.
From the very moment a scammer targets you; his entire arsenal of psychological manipulation is brought into play. You are moved from a position of control to one of no control. The scammer moves into the position of supreme power, regardless of how powerful you may be in real life.
You are the only character in the scam that hasn't a clue as to what is really happening. The only choice given you is to react to what the scammer is saying and doing.
Reality is gone, you just don't know it - your real world has been completely and effectively replaced with that of the scammer, and the scam ring.
Once the scam is over, suddenly, without warning, you have to come to terms with the fact that you have been scammed,—The effect is devastating - it was planned to be ....as scammers work hard to brainwash and manipulate victims with love bombarding ,asking questions of the begging and fitting victim into correct scam script suiting them with biggest profits....

Unfortunately what you are telling us ---> he cashed checks.... Sounds like they recruited him as a internet MULE .
If he will be eventually facing consequences if convicted. If someone met someone online that has asked him to receive funds or goods on their behalf?
Quite simply, this is money laundering and any individual assisting these criminals can be prosecuted and have their whole bank account frozen. A conviction for an offence of money laundering may carry a penalty of up to 20 years imprisonment.

You are right about stolen videos. Scammers have programs to manipulate stolen footages. They do it to victims all the time...

If someone is working on the victim to try to break them away from that scammer it is like playing with a double edge sword. You can tell the victim the things they need to know to break that bond but it doesn't sink in right away. The victim will take what you have given them and run straight to the scammer and tell him all about it. The scammer will then tell the victim they can no longer listen to the person telling them these things and they will have a believable story to cover what the victim has told them they found out.

However, after while, when you keep on piling on the evidence, it starts to seep into the victims cognitive brain and they do start to listen, even if they don't allow you to be aware of it. They will start second guessing themselves and will finally make the break.

If you happen to have a picture of THIS WOMAN please upload in Google Image Search or TYNEYE and check if is already reported.
If you can share ANY INFORMATION about this scammer's ring please do it. We will try to find more about them.
Please mention to your friend about Ebola.

Good luck to you :)
Confronting the scammer is ALWAYS WRONG and serves only as education in defrauding future victims. Please do not enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT, BLOCK & IGNORE... Silence Is Golden!!!
Rozmawiam po polsku.
For info visit our forum : viewforum.php?f=74
Igulinka

Bookmark and Share

Return to Support and Advice.