How to Verify Profile On Dating Sites???????

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends

How to Verify Profile On Dating Sites???????

Postby notthatstupid4 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:44 pm

I have been helping Pink Cupids site with identifying scammers since I have been a victim several times(I did not give up any money).Is there any advice you can give as to a way the site can maybe verify the people who are on the site or any ideas to make it safer for those of us who want to find someone?
notthatstupid4
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: How to Verify Profile On Dating Sites???????

Postby FrumpyBB on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Please read the FAQ in full and study the informational topics on RS ("How African romance scammers work"; "Self test on scammers"), instead of opening yet another another new thread on typical and therefore so often asked for FAQ metierial ;)

If you work for a dating site, have a look at the bad IP lists or similar topics in "Useful Resources" and the "DIY" section.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Use Spokeo
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:01 am

I'm not so sure she'll find the answer to the question she's asking, so easily, Frumpy. Even if it is posted somewhere else, I think I'd rather answer this one again to make sure the word gets out faster.

Dating site administrators and moderators can see the IP address of members as they join and access their site. African and Russian IP ranges are easily blocked and there are lists of them posted around the net. Likewise there are lists of bad proxy servers that the scammers and spammers use. Those should be blocked as well. I believe site administrators can contact Wayne here, who can also provide that list of IP's (if he's in an agreeable mood ;) ).

Also, site admin near and dear to my heart accept and seriously investigate member reports. If your dating site trusts your judgment and boots the slimy little maggots, that's great.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

Postby Ralph Warner on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:47 am

I should point out that scammers have been known to encourage their victims to set up dating profiles for them, these profiles will show a "safe" IP address and will not be picked up, its important to know how to spot a scammer even with all of the blocks in place ;)
"Thou shall read thy FAQ" CLICK HERE for salvation
Has your scammer sent you to any websites, it may have been fake Click Here to find out more
Ralph Warner
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pete on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:06 am

A lot depends on the dating site software being used, but the normal stuff always applies...

The IP matches where they claim to be (as mentioned)

Is the member mass messaging as soon as they register? (if the program allows you to see this)

Do you bother to google the email address when they register?

The picture....does Tineye or google image search have any hits on it. C'mon people...does the picture LOOK RIGHT? Do real life models with tatas hanging out really register on dating sites looking for 80 year old men?

Most of the rest of the stuff is 'seat of the pants' experience based....the nature of the english in the profile text, the inability to get physical data that seems right (4 feet tall and 245 lbs, or 6'6" and 83 lbs) they can't spell the city they claim to live in correctly,

A lot of filtering or identification of scammers is possible, but most dating sites don't bother.
Never send money to somebody you only know from the internet, or phone calls!

Please support this site
Pete
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Return to Support and Advice.