scammed - my story

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends

scammed - my story

Postby gabe911 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 am

Hi. I came to this forum to tell my story about how I was scammed and wish I could get my money back. The story begins when i was 15 or 16 back in 2004-2005 on the chat messenger service known as Paltalk. I am a Muslim and I would often frequent Islamic chat rooms and even had my own. Anyways, one day I was in the chat room and a girl came in claiming she wanted to convert to Islam. I told her the procedure to convert to Islam and she claimed she followed it. Anyways later on one of my friends (or so i think) on paltalk wanted to "set me up" with the girl so that i could marry her. She seemed to like the idea and seemed to want to follow through with it. We exchanged pictures and she said she thought I was cute. She claimed she was actually half jordanian half white. She claimed her father was Muslim but died when she was younger and that her mother raised her as a Catholic. She sent me very pretty pictures of whom she claimed was herself as a white arab girl. She also claimed she was a cheerleader and a all A student. She wrote on her MSN that her name was Melinda Hudieb. Anyways, later that week she claimed that she started to wear the hijab (traditional Muslim headscarf) to school and that her mother got mad at her for doing so. She claimed her mother kicked her out of her house. She claimed she went to another 'girl' whom who was also on paltalk and stayed with her. Eventually she said she was going to live on her own. At the the time she said she was 16 years old like I was. She said she quit school and got a job full time at a flower shop and that she got an apartment. I was so caught up in the story that I told her i would get a job to help her. Thats exactly what I did. I got a part time job while going to highschool at a local grocery store. I sent her some money. I didnt think much of it. Eventually she would say that she didnt have enough money to pay the rent so she asked me for more. I ended up spending probably at least a 1000$ of my hard earned cash on this 'girl', all the while being completely infatuated and in love with her. All the while I told my dad about her and that i wanted to marry her. He told me that she is probably not who I think she is. I should have listened to him. Anyways, I told her one day that I wanted to meet her in person. She said okay and i told my dad i wanted him to take me to meet her. He said okay. Coincidentally she disappeared without telling me her address or anything. I dont remember the excuse she gave for disappearing. I should have took this as a sign that something was up but i didnt. Eventually she claimed that her mother was looking for her and that she was basically a run away. I told her that in Islam we should be good to our parents so she should return to her mom. Then she disappeared again for another few months. During that time I got very impatient and started to become involved with another girl on Paltalk. When she returned from her disappearance she said her mother found her and sent her to another state. She heard that I was starting to get involved with this other girl. However I wanted her back so i told her im sorry but she told me she just wanted to focus on school for then on. That was the last time i spoke to her. After that I thought everything was my fault. I thought that i shouldnt have talked to the other girl and should have just waited for her to come back. This was in 2005. I went into a deep depression and was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder Recurrent. It was my last year of highschool and my grades dropped significantly. Years later I still felt like I had feelings for this beautiful half arab half white girl. At times i would go back to the internet and try to search for her. I would search her name on different people websites as well as her email. Nothing would come up. Eventually one day about a year ago I wanted to get to the bottom of where she went so i could contact her. I got the idea that i would look up the old transactions that i had sent money to her with from paypal. She had claimed when i sent her the money that it was going to her cousin. The name on her paypal was Thera Chatman. I searched thera chatman on facebook and black woman came up. It said she had cousins with the last name Hudieb(the same name that she had used on her Messenger) and that she had a cousin named Melinda Cayabyab. You can still see their names on facebook. None of them had white mothers but rather were some sort of polynesian, arab, and black family. None of them wore hijab or had any sign that they were Muslim. Right then I started to come to the realization that there is no girl with the legal name Melinda Hudieb but she had used that name to give the appearance she was part white part arab.. When i went over the story with my friend he told me that the whole thing was a romance scam. My brother told me the same thing. I am still coming to terms with the fact that Ive been scammed and that these girls used religion to get me to feel for the plight of a damsel in distress supposedly that was Muslim and thus give them money. Anyways I hope you enjoyed this story. The only question i have now is there any way i could get my money back from them now that I know their information and who they really are.

The email she used and paltalk name she used was Melinda0786@hotmail.com and Melinda0786. She used the same email Melinda0786@hotmail.com for the paypal that i sent money to.
Last edited by gabe911 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
gabe911
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: scammed - my story

Postby FrumpyBB on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:06 am

This is answered as the first question in the FAQ Can you please post the email addies and PayPal one and also one money request email/chat log for the other victims to find? Thanks...
Can you also post an email header?

Or have you met her in person? :(
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Use Spokeo
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby gabe911 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:08 am

FrumpyBB wrote:This is answered as the first question in the FAQ Can you please post the email addies and PayPal one and also one money request email/chat log for the other victims to find? Thanks...

okay i will in a moment thanks.
gabe911
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby gabe911 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:12 am

FrumpyBB wrote:This is answered as the first question in the FAQ Can you please post the email addies and PayPal one and also one money request email/chat log for the other victims to find? Thanks...
Can you also post an email header?

Or have you met her in person? :(

Whats an email header?

It was so long ago that i dont have the chats or emails any more :(
gabe911
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:16 am

Click according link in my signatureline. Important to get an header :)

We can get the true location this way - assuming the girl was just a fake personality.

If it was no Nigerian money scammer, however, then I´m afraid there is little how we could help you, gabe :(
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

Use Spokeo
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby almost_bit on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 am

gabe911

I'm sorry that you were scammed and that it had such a deep impact on you.

The answer to your question is - no - there is not a way to get your money back.
Scammers generally operate from other countries, and there aren't any options to get back what you've paid.

What you can do now is to help protect others by posting as many details as you can. The more details you can post, the more likely it is that another victim might find your post and realize they're dealing with a scammer.

It is too bad that you no longer have the emails. The header often has clues as to where the scammer actually is.

It sounds like you have already gone through many of the recovery steps. You'll find a lot of good information on this site to help you come to terms with this.

AB
Do NOT bait your own scammer!
___
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
almost_bit
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:29 am

What I find new is that the scammer has and accepted PayPal - normally it is Western Union or Money Gram. I didn´t even know you can setup an anonymous PayPal - but a money mule can...so this Thera Chatman might be an accomplice of the anonymous Nigerian (?) who was the actual chat partner of yours and emailwriter. Either that or she was equally scammed by him into believing that accepting your money and forwarding it to the scammer was either a personal favour or a job scam.

Use Spokeo
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:16 am

Also keep in mind - the story happened in 2005!! I doubt there are any emails left with headers.

I doubt that Thera Chatman on FB has anything to do with this scam. Just a co-incidence of a name. Look at her FB, just an African-American woman in her 30's, with a totally normal, real FB. I am sure it's not her.

There are many people named Melinda Cayabyab on FB.

The problem here is that the story is very old. The scammer most defnitely changed her email address since then and operates under different names now, IF operates at all.

But it was definitely a scam.
Marisa
Site Admin

Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:26 am

All I can find is a myspace profiile registered with this email:

http://www.myspace.com/nasheeds2
More Nasheeds - I dunno if it is a male or female name.
Marisa
Site Admin

Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 am

Gabe, you are young still. You've been this long without the money and you can't get it back. Why not move on with your life and chalk this all up to a valuable lesson. Teenage infatuations, whether real or fantasy, never seem to work out in real life. If she had been real, you'd have dodged a bullet. Unfortunately, she was a liar and she basically used you for all she could get. You learned a lesson in trust and I hope never to mix money with a relationship. Meanwhile, I can tell you that people who are dishonest, have difficult lives. This young woman is probably up to her eyeballs in misfortune and being used and abused by her like minded peers. You will always come out ahead in deals like this, no matter how much money you lose.

Now put this long past due to retire, issue behind you, move on and find a nice girl who shares your faith and values - and if any girl ever asks you for money, run!
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

Postby gabe911 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm

to the admins. can u delete the people's names that i mentioned on facebook. thanks.
gabe911
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:16 pm

I do not know how to edit anything outside this forum since it´s unmoderateable. Sorry.

Use Spokeo
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:32 pm

LOL, Frumpy. He doesn't mean he wants you to edit Facebook, he means he's mentioned names of people on Facebook, here.

Gabe, the names you mentioned were names of people involved in taking your money. If they didn't really take your money, then that's a good reason for removing them. But if you truly lost money to this group, then others need to know. Leopards don't change their spots. I'm going to let them stay here until they request to be removed. They can at least offer an explanation of their involvement or lack thereof.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.
Pinky

Bookmark and Share

Return to Support and Advice.