It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

How many of you are scambaiters?

If you want to know the opinion of our visitors, create your poll. Please don't submit scammers here!

Are you a scam baiter, or a visiting victim?

I am a scam baiter
35%
I am a victim here for support and to help only
65%

Total votes: 286

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: How many of you are scambaiters?

Postby Stealth » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:05 am

I am not a scambaiter, I am more like a scamhunter, or scamcatcher. I was always opposed to baiting the same scammer for months, talking to him on YIM for hours, as I believe all these lengthy Yahoo chats waste more time of a baiter than of a scammer. Every scammer has infinity of other IDs and victims, and your chats will not distract him much. Maybe just amuse you, but not of a much help for others. Instead, I was always encouraging people to hunt scammers profiles on the sites - catch as many as you can. You catch a scammer, got his details (picture, email. IP), post it - and move on. Post as many as you can, instead of wasting your time on the same scammer.

This is what was always different between Romancescam and other baiting sites like Eater, etc.. The approach to baiting was always different.

I know some will disagree, but don't try to convince me. LOL I was like that since day one of Romancescam. :lol:
I can agree to this. I think if you are spending long hours talking to the one you bait, this could be more of a waste of your time than theirs.

However, personally, I like to report them soon as I figure them out (which is quick), but keep the line of communication open to them, so they can continue to send me email. If I chat, I may not spend more than 20 minutes of my time, every other day. But I keep it open for them to talk to me so that if they want to take it to the point of money request, I will then get all their info on that as well. I personally feel this can be important, so that another person who may be a victim of them, if they get nervous about their scammer, they will be able to find in researching,not only the fake profiles, fake pics, Nigerian IP or whatever, but also the particular money request and details may match what they were dealing with, hence be that much more convincing and revealing. I think also when you can share personal emails, it's a lot harder for a nigerian scammer to explain that one away, and pass it up to mere hacking, as how would a random person reporting their a$$ just so happen to also have the same personal dialogues and emails? So I figure in the end, the more stuff on them the better.

:applause: thankfully people like you have been the biggest help that anyone could possible have.
"Scam signs"

ATTN GUESTS!!Telling your mugu that he/she is busted will accomplish absolutely nothing but teaching them how to be better at scamming/victimizing, as well as cause other victims unnecessary duress. Unless this is what you hope to cause, do NOT confront them!

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:14 am

I agree with you Stealh, money request is important. If somebody has time and desire to get a scammer to that point, great!! As long is doesn't occupy too much of your time, to the extend that you stop noticing and replying to other scammers ("my plate is full"), that's bad.

I also don't think it makes much sense to post each and every long boring chat transcript, that doesn't contain anything of value. Nobody is really interested, it just takes server space.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Lioness1

Bookmark and Share

Postby Lioness1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 am

I agree with you, if not in all. In the past, members have been warned here also by reading individual passages of chats, and was not a victim, say they paid no money. They thanked for it. So not only email addresses and IPs are always controlling. And that's my motivation. It's true, you invest a lot of time, I also noticed that. Especially the Nigerian scammers want to talk for hours ... blah blah, boring. The French-speaking react differently, almost more polite. I will continue my activities (with few exceptions) only limited to that sector, so I am quite busy. It is growing every day. :)

disneyy70
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby disneyy70 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 am

I wouldn't say that I am a scambaiter... but I was recently victimized. Now I want to do anything in my power to prevent it from happening to myself again, or anyone else for that matter!

geecee
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geecee » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm

No count me out. I have been a one time victim and now try to educate others to all the deceit. To be honest, have only baited the once and considered it to be a waste of time. Did publish the particular trickster and the report will save many others in future. For me, the baiting would consume too much time that could be better utilized. Being a honest type of person, would be difficult to keep up appearances so to speak. I fully understand others leading the scam artists on and I guess they should be thanked for the time and effort that it entails. The one time I practiced, turned out to be fun because the trickster was tied in knots. But spending too much time with fake people is not beneficial in my opinion. However others are made of sterner stuff and seem to enjoy.
Each to their own I guess.

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:23 pm

" To be honest, have only baited the once and considered it to be a waste of time"

I have to disagree. I feel that collecting info on multiple fakes, if it's even helped just ONE person not be a victim, or lose money and dignity to a scammer, it is no waste of time. It also hurts their deceitful business quite a bit, another good reason not to consider it a waste of time.

Scam baiters have made a huge difference for sites like these as they go out of their way bagging these creatures.

Being a baiter does not mean you have to spend countless hours on end with scammers. To me it means hunting the POS down, gathering the evidence, playing them like a flute, then busting their mugu little arses. Many numerous people are very thankful for that. You'd be surprised at how much I can get out of them in just little amount of time. Once they've served my purpose, NEXT! ;)
"Scam signs"

ATTN GUESTS!!Telling your mugu that he/she is busted will accomplish absolutely nothing but teaching them how to be better at scamming/victimizing, as well as cause other victims unnecessary duress. Unless this is what you hope to cause, do NOT confront them!

JudieAnne
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby JudieAnne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 am

Just curious about this. I know some were victims turned scam baiters, others just despise these scums of the earth and therefore scam bait them. Others are victims just looking to share their stories, support each other, and file the complaint in hopes to save some one else from it.

Which are you?
I am looking for support and to help. I dont see it helping to lower myself to their level. I am hurt, deeply and yed the thought of giving the the hurt back ten fold has crossed my mind, but knowing im not alone in this makes me feel a little less humbled, :(

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 am

Scambaiting doesn't mean "lowering oneself to their level". That means helping people, exposing scammers, warning victims. You said yourself you are hurt. Many victims are so hurt, or embarrassed, or scared, that they don't even feel like posting a report and exposing their scammer.

If not for scambaiters, who would post scammers than?? Who would expose them? How would warn others that they are being scammed and get detals in Google? Sometimes getting info from victims is like pulling teeth - so unwilling they are to share details, while posting details is the most important part in scamfighting, since scammers cannot be caught.

Scambaiters do all dirty work - hunt scammers down, get evidence, post, expose. This entire site is based on their hard work. Victims come here because they find reports on their scammer in Google posted by... yes, by scambaiters! :)
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

minerva

Bookmark and Share

Postby minerva » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 am

true, i may say being scambaiter or scam hunter like undercover cop. if not because of them so we will never know how scammer work, trick and fooling a vic to get $$$$ from them. and with all their hard work digging and time investment so lot victim will educated bout this and safe. isnt it life not just black and white. its grey some time. and every part have their own fungtions. and all connecting. we can just alone face this matter.
to help you how to post and other read the FAQ viewtopic.php?f=74&t=83893

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm

" I dont see it helping to lower myself to their level."

How is baiting, busting, catching and exposing them, "Lowering myself to their level"? I don't pull scams that involve money, not even on them. NOW THAT would be lowering oneself to their level. What I DO do, is go after them, find them, bait and bust. THAT, in my opinion is a worthy cause as I have met so many people thankful for this kind of work who were just about to hand over money but found the info just in time. Anything, IMO that helps another human in this world is NOT a lowly level. Friends of mine sometimes tell me what a waste of time they think it is, and how they think it is a "thankless job that I don't get paid any money to do." But you know what? I don't do this to be thanked, nor do I do it to be paid. I do it because of my desire to help others, perhaps save some who are down and out and being manipulated by these predators. So I ask, how do you deduce this to be a low life like the level of a scammer?
"Scam signs"

Outta Control
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Outta Control » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 am

I consider myself a hunter. It is sweet justice. This site has helped me so much in heeling and now that I can help others, its great. My Mugu waste approx. 6 months of my time and emotionally abused me. So being able to sniff out the POS's and play....no better healing for me.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

3n1gma
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby 3n1gma » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Well I am initially a 'victim' of sorts. It is good that I am so untrusting as every message I receive I deal with trepidation and mistrust. It was this attitude that lead me to this site!

I do think once I have all my ducks in a row that I am going to graduate to 'scambaiter' ...

Thank you for an AWESOME and amazing site where we can bust these idiots!

It sickens me that we have to put up not only with the harsh reality of being on a dating site in the first place but we have to also be subjected to this and to second guess every person that makes contact!

Cynical ... one has to be in this case!

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm

First off, thank you for your kind words! :D

"but we have to also be subjected to this and to second guess every person that makes contact!"

Now here is the great thing about being a scambaiter. The more you scambait, the more proficient you become at spotting the scammers, and you get so good at it, that it's almost immediate, like a second nature. With that said, you can also practically instinctively see very fast who is NOT a scammer. Therefore, you get to the point where you aren't treading the sites always questioning everyone if they are a scammer. Practice makes masters for sure. :)

However, I might remind everyone that even with REAL people, there should always be a certain amount of holding back and treading with caution as there are plenty of REAL time people who, albeit not nigerian or russian scammers, perhaps a different type of scammer, or a complete creep that you wouldn't want knowing so much bout you.
"Scam signs"

pacman4u309
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby pacman4u309 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 pm

I have just started as a Scambaiter. I didn't know that there was a name for it until I found this site.

Currently I am using my current profile on a dating site but tat will be changing before long. All of the information here I have found very important and has made me change my tactics when dealing with these Scammers.

Thank you stealth for you Reply - Post by Stealth on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 pm This is great information to know for the future.

I'm new to this site and have a great deal to learn and look forward to this activity in my future. It is the best thing to come along next to educating people about Online Scammers

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Welcome to the word of scam baiting. Stick with us and you were learn so much more on how bait and hunt. :)
"Scam signs"

Return to “Voting polls”