It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Eharmony - NEGATIVE!

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
nela
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby nela » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 am

GOOD WORK Miss priss:applause: I have tryed to report some scammers too, but nothing happens....In my country they don't even warn people against dating fraud, on the dating sites...just closing their eyes for this problem...we have no where to go..I have tryed many things when I become suspiciios..police, newspaper costum maneger on datingsites.. but no help at all. :eek:
Thank god! I found this page..It have helped me alot..
But unfortunately,I don't think that there is enough scammed woman and men outsite the states, knowing about this outstanding site. :applause:
How stupid can I be???

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

misspriss
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Whooo Hoooo!

Postby misspriss » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:30 pm

The eHarmony credit actually went through on my Birthday!!!
:applause: :applause: :grin: :grin: :applause: :applause:

ldelbo
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

E-Harmony scammers

Postby ldelbo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:58 am

While on e-harmony I have had the opportunity to deal with
a scammer for the past 4 months. They are very convincing.
Beware ladies.... they state moving to Canada, actually living
in the US and infact they travelled to Accra Ghana for work.

These guys are professionals.

VALERIE MORGAN NELMS
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

EHARMONY

Postby VALERIE MORGAN NELMS » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 pm

BEWARE! EHARMONY HAS MANY SCAMMERS TO OFFER AS DOES WEALTHYMEN.COM I HAVE DISCOVERED IN THE LAST MONTH. READ PROFILES CAREFULLY BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS FIND POOR GRAMMER, A STATEMENT THAT JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE OR IF YOU HAVE STARTED CHATTING WITH THEM MAKE NOTES IT IS EASY TO TRIP THEM UP EACH ONE HAS TOLD ME MUCH DIFFERENT INFORMATION CHATTING VERSES WHAT IS IN THEIR PROFILE.

[/b]
VALERIE MORGAN NELMS

Natural Miss
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Natural Miss » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:31 am

idelbo - believe me we are very aware of these scammers. If one contacts you and you cant find the name or pic on the board - post the details here i.e. pic, email header, scenario etc and we will make sure everyone knows the name...

happynot
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Thank you for this site......

Postby happynot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I had two really bad experiences on eharmony (by the way I got the same canned response that was posted previously) so I tried my luck on match dot com and just posted on your sight a nigerian scammer. When reviewing photos to see if my guys picture was on your site i found at least 10 guys that I have been matched up or received emails from that were one site or the other. I would think eharmony would have less scammers then some of the others since most members go the slow progression route before entering into open communication. I think though it may be easier to identify the scammers on match dot com since they have a show me matches like this one option. Many have different pictures but I have found the profile information is mirrored except for a couple changes. Before I go I want to thank you again for this site. It's chalk full of very useful information, not like the other 20 sites on scammers I visited.

yanky4
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Harmony Dating

Postby yanky4 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:11 am

I have been using the Harmony Dating site for about a year now and have found that around 85% of all contact has been from known scammers. (I wish I had found that out a year ago .....would have saved a lot of time and money).
I sent Harmony an email this week informing them that I was not happy with the policing of their site and told them that it is easy to find scammers by simply doing a google search of email address.
Their reply was that they were sorry that I was not happy with their service and please would I send them the usernames of the "ladies " that I think are suspect.
I do not mind doing this but:
1... After spending almost £50 per month to waste my time and money on scammers that are on a site that is not adequately policed and then ask me to do their job for them ..........upsets me a little
2... This site is supposed to be one of the best and comes up as one of the top in Google search.......this makes me wonder how bad the ones lower down are.
I know that no site can !00% promise that there are no scammers but i am sure that with regular checking then most of them can be stopped. Maybe make the women pay for registration and receiving contact details instead of making men pay................that would get rid quite a lot.
I will give update as to what Harmony does about this....I gave them 35 usernames and email addresses to work with, so they might be busy for a while
Any other comments or advice will be most welcome

Gigs
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Harmony Dating

Postby Gigs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Hello Yanky4, Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you for your report and sharing that with us . We have a section for this dating site & am merging it there .

NEVER EVER EVER SEND $ MONEY $ !

Finding Headers , http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 18&t=10910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Want to fight back, http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... f=18&t=484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ber6318
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Eharmony - NEGATIVE!

Postby ber6318 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:40 am

I tried EHarmony about 3-4 years ago and never ran into any scammers. My problem with them was that they simply did not care about any criteria I set for possible matches, they matched me with women THEY thought were right. They even said so in the one and only email reply I received from customer service.

The matches they sent me were either across the country, or, nearby and in their mid 50's to early 60's. (I was around 49 at the time). They simply did not care what I was looking for, just putting the charge on the credit card.

duped2009
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duped2009 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:13 am

OMG!!! Where has this site been? I could have saved alot of money by not wasting my time with EH. Hoping to find true love I resort to online dating. After my ordeal with EH, never again!

I wonder why this has never been on 60 minutes or any major news station. The public needs to know what's been going on behind closed doors in online dating.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:32 am

Yes, they do. Google helps us more than everything else so far. Quite a number of journalists have been using RS as a source of information, but when the programme is being aired, usually they concentrate on the victims´ feelings (which is okay...) and not on the comparatively "boring" reasearch and information collection work we do. Oh well, it´s important they bring the scam subject to the public, it is an incresing problem it seems...not only on dating sites, also on social networking groups etc.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

EHarmony.com

Postby Pinky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Recently I participated in a sociological study regarding the statistical analysis of the number of scammers on a randomly selected list of online dating-matchmaking-social networking sites. I drew EHarmony as my test site. There I created 4 subject profiles. One of which I used my real life information. Sad to report, I'm still single and didn't hook up with a single real person, though one was a close possibility for a short while. But interestingly, during the study period, none of my profiles were approached by any scammers.

This is not to imply eHarmony is 100% safe and certainly not meant to endorse it, but I've been on dating sites a long time now, probably since the first one ever came online (I've been single nearly 15 years) and eHarmony does seem to be aware of the issue of love scammers and actually does more than most to protect and warn their members.

The downside is eHarmony is expensive. At times it's been as high as $60 a month for a month to month membership. Lately they've been offering specials as low as $10 a month if you sign an agreement for 3 months. After the three month introductory period, I believe the rate reverts to $35 a month, month to month.

For protection against scammers and to actually match people based on personality traits, there is a lengthy membership registration process. It takes no less than 30 minutes (I never spent less than one hour) to fill out all their questionnaires. They also store prior email registrations and phone numbers so I had to use a different name, email address and especially a different phone number for each of my profile accounts. This makes it tedious and more difficult for scammers to enroll. Still we know from experience that they do get through.

The purpose of this post is merely to inform RS members that there is at least one matchmaking site that is moderately safe. EHarmony gives these warnings to their members:
Always Use Your Best Judgment
eHarmony relies on the complete honesty of our users to create our compatibility profiles. Our system works hard to screen-out applicants who are not truthful. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to decide if someone is being truthful and honest. Don't ignore your instincts and please don't depend totally on eHarmony for evaluating a person you've been matched with. As with people you may meet under any circumstances, your judgment and instincts are necessary to protect yourself from deceitful individuals.
Be Cautious Sharing Personal Information
We strongly encourage you to be cautious when sharing personal information that could reveal your identity. Our eHarmony Mail communication system will let you communicate while remaining safely anonymous. Don't give out your name, e-mail or phone number until you feel you have truly gotten to know someone. Once you've given out personal information, you cannot take it back!
This last one is designed to let EH off the liability hook if anyone does get scammed, but we all know they can do more than this. Never the less, the advice is sound:
Do Your Own Research
It is important to note that eHarmony does not perform background checks on its members. It is also important to note that our optional identity verification service, which is powered by our partner RelyID, is not a background check. We rely on the total honesty of our members when filling out the eHarmony relationship questionnaire to supply us with honest feedback such as Date of Birth, Marital Status, City and State of Residence, Occupation, Education Background and a myriad of additional items. Regardless of the connection you feel, we encourage you to do your own research before meeting in person. This can be anything from typing your match's name into a search engine, contacting your state or local municipalities to obtain public information, or using a paid service to obtain a full background report. Above all else, use common sense. Pay attention to the details someone shares and if you find anything that doesn't add up, follow your intuition and close the communication.
The only thing I can add to that is, "NEVER send money to someone you only know over the internet!"
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

saydagisela
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Would like to know

Postby saydagisela » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Good evening:
I would like to know more about EHarmony. What can you say about the site. Are there scammers? How to detect them?

Ben Scammed
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Would like to know

Postby Ben Scammed » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 pm

http://www.romancescam.com/cgi-bin/scamtest.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scammers are everywhere - con-artists, swindlers: whatever you want to call them.

There are several "scam tests" (see link above)

My mom once told me if you meet someone and they love you instantly -then RUN! And if they have baggage, a poor oh help my life story is so sad then RUN! (I should have listened!)
If they want money, they are trying to come to the USA and can't, the get ill, the get in a car accident...bla bla bla. If they ask your income, need bank account information.
*If they can't send you a picture each day, or when you ask for 1 to be posted, or do a webcam...REDFLAG!!

If you feel like your in a fairy tale...it probably is a con'

*Someone that wants to get to know you doesn't need your money! They just want to get to know you, talk, etc.*
It is okay to be skeptical and protect yourself. Don't be in a rush to find love - I was desperate and I got scammed.

TiffanyFontaine
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

eHarmony

Postby TiffanyFontaine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Although sites like eHarmony, Match.com and Chemistry charge quite a bit of money to join their sites promising secure love matches, it's not true! I have only been on eHarmony two weeks and already I've been totally scammed by two men on the site. After going through the entire questionnaire process on eHarmony and finally proceeding to private emailing, I realized that both of these guys were frauds. Don't be fooled by the hype and commercials for eHarmony and Match.com--these sites are riddled with scammers!!

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”