It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Match.com - NEGATIVE!

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
kbo
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: National TV Talk Show plans to do a story on "Romance Sc

Postby kbo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:14 pm

just my luck that the other person saved his profile and I did too. It is exactly the same! we have the same love letters and the same pictures except for his kid and lots more.
When you report scammers to match.com they tell you they will investigate but you will never hear the results of what they find.
Recently, I signed up for a new account and they now make you promise to never send money to any one from their site. That is new. I would really like for the news to showcase just how rampant and infected with scammers match.com is.
I am happy to be interviewed by the media. and Iam sure the other girl who got scammed by the same guy as me would too.
The only reason I found her is that she put up a fake facebook page with him on it and I wrote to her.
The guy who scammed us also had a female helping him in the US. She claimed to be his god mother and was taking care of his son. She still has an active phone in MIssouri. My local police department is trying to track her down. She called me several times and I still have her voicemails. He sent me flowers, teddy bears and chocolates on more than one occasion and the police are trying to find out who paid for those and with what credit card. If these scammers are paying members to match.com - how are they paying - with what credit card? Police are calling it theft by deception. Please please tell the media I am happy to help.

Re: National TV Talk Show plans to do a story on "Romance Sc

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

27Veer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Match.com - NEGATIVE!

Postby 27Veer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:08 pm

I agree with you for going after these slime, but be careful.

kbo
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby kbo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:16 pm

I was scammed by someone on match.com. I met him late March/early April. I found out through someone else scammed by the same exact person that she reported him March 5th. They never took him down.
I have since hired an attorney and through the course of their conversation found out that the guy who scammed was not only reported once but TWICE!
What is their excuse for leaving this type of scum on their site. If they are going to leave it to paying REAL customers to police their site, then why dont they listen when told to remove scammers.
There are thousands of other scammers reported that arent taken down just blocked from your profile after you report them. My lawsuit continues.
I reported no less than 6 people to them in the last month.

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Good for you kbo :applause: :applause:

If more people were to do what you're doing maybe Match may not find allowing scammers on their site to be so profitable. There are a couple reasons why they wouldn't be intersted in blocking scammers. One is that scammers are paying members -- Match doesn't care that the payments are made by stolen credit card, they just want the money. Another reason they don't take down fake profiles is that often scammers use attractive (stolen) photos that make Match's site appear to have lots of good looking single people. And this inspires others to lay down their money and join too.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

Ralph Warner
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Ralph Warner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 am

While all of the above is true, Match are negligent, scammers are everywhere and they have had their profiles paid for with victims money or compromised credit cards and of course the attractive people on their site doesn't do any harm to them either.

Truth is though that if those profiles were taken down the scammer would quickly and easily create a new profile and the new profile wont be listed on any antiscam sites.

In the case of paid scammer profiles I still agree that they should be reported but more from the point of view of alerting the person who's money paid for the profile who can be saved from further loss, the best thing for those who have not yet been scammed (or currently being scammed) is to have all of the details from the scammer posted where they might be found, having the profile shut down does not actually help new victims and if anything closing them actually makes it more difficult for them to find the truth.
"Thou shall read thy FAQ" CLICK HERE for salvation
Has your scammer sent you to any websites, it may have been fake.

Johanna
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Johanna » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:59 pm

I thought maybe over time they had improved their services. I had put a profile on their just to see what happened. Out of 23 men that winked at me within the first hour, 20 of them were scammers. I cannot see paying for someone to scam me.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 pm

I've a paid membership there. They haven't changed much. They've become more proactive about warning their membership about scammers - but keep in mind they're educating the scammers with their warnings, as well. You can't miss the warnings on every page. But Match is still the scammer's #1 source for jobs. They're still using stolen credit cards to make bogus profiles. I can usually spot them and I do report and in Match's defense, they have removed a lot of them - but I can't help shake the feeling it's just because the credit card got charged back or perhaps the scammer mass messaged their format. A lot of the scammers still linger as free accounts where they can wink and flirt and if a paying member messages them, they can then respond. And it's not easy to spot who's a paid account and who's not.

Anyway, I decided to be serious since I had a paid account and I am single and not wanting to be, so I added a warning to my profile that said:
Beware African Love-rat scammers. I know who you are. I can smell you before I open your messages. Don't bother me or you will regret it. I will expose your profile, format and information.
Match rejected the profile. I contacted their online customer service. This is the conversation:
Ramon C.: Hi, my name is Ramon C.. How may I help you?
Pinky: Match rejected my profile change and I'm certain it was because I had a warning to scammers in it.
Ramon C.: I'd be happy to help you with that.
Pinky: Good because I want it in there.
Ramon C.: If you don’t mind holding for just a moment while I review your account information, I’ll be right back!
Pinky: I'm sure a bot picked up the word African and it wasn't humanly rejected, but I will insist it be left in or withdraw my membership.
Ramon C.: Please be aware that all profiles must meet the following guidelines in order to be approved:
* Your profile cannot include any language which could be considered defamatory or offensive in any way (i.e., sexually explicit language, promotion of racism, references to inflicting bodily harm to yourself or others, etc.)
* Your profile cannot include any commercial solicitation
* Your profile cannot include URLs for other sites or usernames for other services
* Your written profile introduction must be between 200 and 4,000 characters in length
* You must be at least 18 years old
* You must be single or separated from your spouse

Pinky: It contained nothing applicable there.
Pinky: It mentioned the name African
Pinky: I used the term African love rat scammers. It isn’t offensive to anyone but the scammers. Surely you know that Match male profiles of men over 45 are 50% African scammers. (probably higher)
Ramon C.: I do understand.
Pinky: I might be willing to concede the term 'rat' but nothing else. 9 out of 10 men who message me turn out to be in Africa. It's beyond my comprehension why Match doesn't filter IP addresses.
Ramon C.: I’m really sorry; however, I’m unable to fix your profile. I will recommend you to rewrite it.
Pinky: I have profiles on dozens of dating sites, but Match is the only one I've paid for. I'm not willing to waste my time here on scammers. I will cancel my membership. Oh, and I will publish this conversation on romancescam.com.
Ramon C.: I am sure that is very frustrating.
Ramon C.: I am sure we can correct this for you if you send us your profile again.
Pinky: I don't think so. I'm not going to take out the scammer warning.
Pinky: I want NON-scammers to be more aware as well.
Ramon C.: I do understand.
Pinky: You might, but I don't think Match even cares, let alone understand. Their lack of accountability has been deplorable.
Ramon C.: I am so sorry to hear that, but as i said i am sure we can correct this for you if you send us your profile again.
Pinky: I will do it one more time, but if it's rejected for the scammer warning again, I will withdraw my membership.
Pinky: Thank you for your time.
Ramon C.: I will work this out for you.
Ramon C.: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Pinky: No thank you.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Why would they reject a profile with a scammers warning in it?

As a paying customer, you should have every right to have that kind of scammer deterrent in your dating profile.
"Scam signs"

ATTN GUESTS!!Telling your mugu that he/she is busted will accomplish absolutely nothing but teaching them how to be better at scamming/victimizing, as well as cause other victims unnecessary duress. Unless this is what you hope to cause, do NOT confront them!

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm

I am curious to see the outcome of it. Would they finally allow the scam warning in the profile??
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”