It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:58 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
RESEARCH SCAMMERS BY NAME
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

RESEARCH SCAMMERS BY EMAIL

A little advice and help (Ukraine mostly)

Questions and real info about visas, travel requirements, phone numbers, travel preparations, rules for meeting the family, etc...
Michelangelo
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Michelangelo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi everyone,
My first post. I've read forums on various websites and I think I can contribute. I'm originally Polish, travelled a lot around the world and settled down in the UK. I remember first scam letters good few years ago, but got easily discouraged when I didn't receive answers to any of my questions. No matter scam or not, why would I continue with someone who isn't in a dialogue with me :) Then, one day, a Russian girl (19) chatted me up on ICQ. Wanted to improve her English as she was a student. She was a lovely girl, much younger who didn't mind I was divorced and had 2 daughters with 2 women (yes, I know I sound bad myself - I've had a fair share of sh*t in my life). I loved that, despite young age, she was very mature, knew what she wanted unlike British chicks whom I couldn't have an intelligent conversation with (e.g. Hitler apparently was executed on live TV, "I've been to Italy 10 times and didn't realise it is in Europe" kind of intelligence). As I spoke Russian as a kid, it was easier to learn that (actually when I got into dating a lot of Ukrainian girls while staying in Kiev or via Skype - I have mastered it in 3 months - and think how much you'd have to pay for meetings with native speaker to learn the language lol). Yes, there are lots of nice girls whom you can meet with without fear of being scammed. Nobody's perfect and my first relationship in Ukraine didn't end up as I hoped, but now I'm happily engaged and will marry soon. I currently have well over 100 female friends in Ukraine, we've been hanging out and travelling together. I've never been scammed over there. To be honest I am surprised people lose so much money to find love.

So here's my two cents (feel free to comment or ask, I've probably forgotten about some stuff):
1) I think, learning Russian is a good start. Even if you speak very little, it is appreciated in a way a French waiter will serve you much better even if you speak with broken French.
2) Forget that lots of girls will throw themselves at you just because you live in the States or Western Europe. These times are long gone. I have well over 100 female friends in Ukraine and Russia and some make much better money than me over in the UK as a Finance Manager. The ones who earn a little, have good enough life over there, there's family, friends, opera, gym etc. all very affordable. Some will leave, but only if they are really in love. You have to make an effort! My missus doesn't give a damn about me living in Britain. She has a job (even if it pays little, she's happy), friends, family over there. She's learning English for her OWN money. I've offered help, doesn't want a penny which might show you who's honest and who is not.
3) MAKE AN EFFORT, BUT MAKING AN EFFORT DOESN’T MEAN SENDING MONEY! Women in Russia and Ukraine are very romantic, I found out they just love hearing these few nice words. You will quickly become perceived as a guy with a good heart! At some point I started sending my friends nice SMSes with some Good morning/evening/night poem or some heartwarming words. They absolutely love it. I did it just to make them smile as I am a nice bloke, but got myself into trouble as a few thought I was in love and started falling for me too… Just remember to ask how they feel, how their day was etc. – it really means a lot to them because their guys just don’t care. Most want only sex. If you give attention, show appreciation, they are yours believe me. Also, there is a mystery expression they really fall for every single time “I miss you.” I’ve been on good few dates in Ukraine; some cost me as little as two coffees at McDonald’s. Not because I’m tight, but because the time was flying and we had such a great time, we didn’t care where we were. Real girls don’t need you to take them for a $1000 dinner. Remember that!
4) You don't have to spend a penny or cent on online dating. I've tried various websites where I'd have to pay for reading messages (never bothered as felt fishy) and even before you could google images on Google, it was failry easy to verify some girls. Create a profile on VK, which is Russian equivalent of Facebook. It is in English and many other languages. Even on scam dating sites, they do put real names and real date of birth!!! Unlike on Facebook, it is easy to look for someone choosing sex, country, city, date of birth etc. That's how I found out some girls who were in love, were in fact engaged! What’s more, my first Ukrainian girlfriend told me her friend (actually a girl) who studied in the USA was working in such a place (very good command of English), where they would offer free photoshoots to girls in turn for the right to use their images and some data on a dating website. After that, their profiles would be created and her friends would respond to all blokes writing and paying to see the messages! Even my gf had a profile there. I don’t know the website address, only remember the agency was operating in Donetsk.
I became an unofficial ambassador of Ukrainian girls in Wales. Some of my mates flew with me to Ukraine and meet nice girls, most speak English.
You can use 100% free websites like fdating.com (all girls I’ve met there are real)
You can install an app called Topface (iPhone/Android/one of apps on Facebook, also website), just put your location in a destination city (e.g. Kiev). You can see all girls around, start chatting. Costs you nothing.
I have also used Badoo (the same as Topface). Here it is a bit more complicated as app gets your location from mobile network or GPS so you might need to use fake GPS app and place yourself in Moscow.
You can advertise youself on Slando.com. It is a general website for selling stuff with romance section. It’s a sister site of popular across Europe Gumtree.com
It was the first place I advertised myself and got over 150 responses! Yes, that many, not joking. With some girls I’ve been good friend for a few years now, some I've dated. About 20 looked drop dead gorgeous, so gorgeous that I felt bad about myself :D Oh, the site is in Russian so you might need to get it translated, but ad in English.
4) It is true that even taxi drivers want to screw you. Not only foreigners! All of my friends use ONLY the call service and the taxis already waiting ONLY if there is no other choice (and then negotiate hard!) The taxi system in Ukraine is pretty good though. You call the service, give collection and destination and get sms with make, model and reg of a car together with the amount! You just need to get the number. The agencies providing serviced accommodation are aplenty. But don’t expect cheap prices. For example. My friend could find me an apartment which wasn’t in the centre, but not far from metro (subway) for equivalent of about $25 a day, agencies in just a little bit better location wanted $55. Yes, the standard was better, but then you pay twice as much. Also, if you do speak some Russian, there are lots of women in front of main railway stations who have apartments for rent (in Russia/Ukraine even more popular than staying in a hotel). When I was driving around with my girlfriend around Crimea, she had a list of properties from some websites and was basically calling even at 20:00 asking for an apartment and we never paid more than 200UAH (22 bucks) per night.
5) I know only a few girls in Sankt Petersburg and Moscow, but I know Kiev, Lviv, Dnepropetrovsk very well. If anyone thinks he’s being scammed, I am happy to help as much as I can. Also, I do know well over 30 girls (no, not all look like Mila Kunis) who are well educated (MA/PhD), single and feel they are not needed. If you feel like meeting someone in mid 20s-mid30s, I can get you in touch with them over Facebook/Skype/Viber/Whatsapp. They are all honest girls, some gorgeous with good hearts… But, not all speak good English.

Sponsor

Sponsor

raj.k
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: A little advice and help (Ukraine mostly)

Postby raj.k » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:40 am

Hi Mate

I read your post about and found it quite informative.

I have recently met a girl online and have been talking to her over email and Skype including video chat.

She has invited me to come and meet her in Ukraine, Zaporizhzhya. It all seems OK but reading all the scam stories I have a few questions that I thought I would discuss with you.

There are a few things that I find unusual (or may be I am being paranoid!). She responds to emails only 2-3 times a week and certain set times (mostly). We have spoken over Skype twice, first time there was connection error so did not last long but second time we spoke (and saw each other) and call lasted for around 16 minutes after which she had to go. She could speak very little English as well.

I do not have have her phone number or address but I have asked for them today. She has also booked a hotel for me for my 3 day visit. I have asked for the details of the same today in mail.

I have heard of woman calling men to Ukraine and then making them spend money on expensive gifts and dates? I am not sure what to think of in my case. I dont want to be paranoid and spoil the possibility of a potentially good relationship but at the same time would not like to be fooled either.

Do you think it would be wise for me to travel and meet her? What other possible issues should I be aware of? The cost of flight and stay is not too much of a concern but I would like to avoid disappointment and any other issues that I may not be aware of. And also the time that I would be wasting.

Hope to hear from you soon. Happy to provide more details if needed.

Best Wishes

RK

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:39 am

raj.k

Please post all info you have about "this girl" ...
We will try to check out if "she" is actually a Ukrainian mafia or trickster dater...
In my personal opinion you are dealing with "Gold digger". One of our dear members unfortunately learned the lesson the hard way . Please look into his story: http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=84384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Anonymous email header will do. Ask Ice FM :)
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

markbze
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby markbze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:52 am

I found your information very informative, I am also thinking about dating a Ukrainian woman and I plan to make a trip to her country soon. She have not asked me for money or anything as yet. We have been talking for about a month now but what I find is a bit strange she says she works at a restaurant and don't have much time on her and but she does answer all my emails. She had also told me she use a translation center to answer to my emails. She send me a few videos of her as well and many pictures. My question is should she be trusted? I am from Central America and I would love to idea to find out all the information on her before I think about going to her country.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 am

markbze

To answer your question if she should be trusted the answer is NO. There is too much scam going on out off Eastern Europe. Most likely you deal with a mafia build of men anyway. No one will ask you for money "too early". First they need to brainwash the victim to the point that you will believe blindly in every world they say.
As a woman from Eastern Europe I would not advise you to go there unless you speak the language very well.

In order to help you to estimate if you deal with real person or mafia kindly post: profile, email address, phone number, letters, pictures. Please be very careful who you trust online. Too much crime is going on.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

IceFM

Bookmark and Share

Postby IceFM » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 pm

.... add. Info: here it sounds that it COULD go in two Directions:

1.) Translation Agency Scam coz she uses "Translation center" and its a quite common Trick from Ukraine; you'll get sooner or later the Bill from the "TC" coz "her account" there is empty and she don't want to loose you

2.) when she "don't have Time for you when you're there", then it sounds more after Point 1. Other scenario COULD be when you're there, that she's a Pro-Dater. She will carry you across the city shopping, uses taxi, going to expensive restaurants, expecting some gifts, maybe she will organize Hotel for you etc. and you'll pay like a "gold donkey" and she'll draw you like a Xmas goose coz all People which are involved in your meeting, they're connected to her and want a piece from the cake ..... when money is finished, then is also her Love finished for you, means, when you start to complain coz of spending much money, your darling will turn into a Drama queen
not to forget: when she don't know english, how do you want to communicate then??????? so, a Translator is a MUST for every/whole day and the Translator don't "live only from Air & Love" when she's with you and who pays?????..... you've to be very carefull with such Trip, otherwise it will end up in a desaster and cost you more money ...... it doesn't mean that all "Apple are rotten in the bag" .. there are also good woman from Ukraine but you've to be carefull...... that they answer every Mail is normal, first right when she uses "Translation center" ... also they read Mail opposite to other Scammer

3.) .... there is still a third Point, depends from where she writes .... when it is from the ATO-Zone, then its a complete other Story
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+++ The FAQ / FAQ in deutsch +++

Return to “Russia & Russians - Myths, Truths, and In-Betweens”