It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Prosecution of Scammers can be done ???? - probably NOT

Is it possible?
Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Re: Prosecution of Scammers can be done ???? - probably NOT

Postby Marisa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:28 pm

I agree, your first stop should be your local authorities. Will they do something about it or not - that's another question, and up to them, but you SHOULD go to local authorities. All these online reports to ic3.gov and EFCC Nigeria didn't do anybody any good so far. But local authorities can at least catch mules in your country helping scammers, who are just as dangerous and nasty as scammers, if not more, and mules should go to jail.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

chucklesands6950
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby chucklesands6950 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Whether they will do something about any specific case... you know I cant say.

But, as with all crime, fraud will only be defeated by an intelligence led approach and with wide co-operation both domestically (between agencies/authorities) and internationally. Believe it or not forums such as this are held in high regard too as part of the fight within the fraud intelligence community.

It is a fact though that even if they do not act and you cannot get a conviction that the intelligence may be of use in future cases or inquiries and for that reason reporting a crime should be seen less about helping yourself but about helping future victims.

for example if a scammer steals $20,000 each from 6 individuals but it is only the last victim who reports it then perhaps whoever is given the case to deal with will not act. they may judge that it is not worth flying people around the world to deal with a $20,000 crime.

However if the other 5 had reported their crimes and the intelligence was been properly shared then it becomes a different matter. Despite going after the same fraudster they are now looking at a total loss of $120,000

'Silence is a scammers best friend"

Always report local.

MrsDer2
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby MrsDer2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:23 pm

I wrote to South Africa Police and I got this reply:

Dear Ms B.XXX

Receipt of your complaint is herewith acknowledged.
Your complaint was forwarded to the Provincial Commander, Commercial Crime, Northern Cape Province for investigation.
You will be provided with feedback will in due course.

Kind regards

CAPT A
DPCI: STAFF OFFICER
Last edited by FrumpyBB on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited out police officer´s full name and phone number, they possibly don´t belong on a scam report board...
The hunter. Guess what I hunt?

603mb
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby 603mb » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 pm

I filed a report with ic3 about 3 years ago and this month I was notified that several people have been arrested and continue to be arrested in connection with my case. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that these people have scammed. My scam involved the Alan P. pictures, which are mentioned on this site. Hopefully these people will actually be brought to trial. Just wanted to give some hope.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:40 am

603mb

That is very good news. Congratulations.
I always say how important is to file reports :)
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:43 pm

this month I was notified that several people have been arrested and continue to be arrested in connection with my case
Please be aware of the existence of African "recovery scams". In collecting such emails, we are in part 3 a 30 pages a 15 posts each already :(
A typical example of "your scammers are arrested and your money is now here" is http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 86#p394386
So, was this notification to you sent by yahoo-mail or hotmail? (I hope not. Real police/law enforcement only uses official emails, never yahoo/gmail/lawyer.com/etc.)
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

603mb
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby 603mb » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Neither. It was from the U.S. Dept of Justice.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:49 pm

That´s great :)
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

603mb
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby 603mb » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Yes. This is the text of one of the emails I have received:

Re: United States v. Defendant(s) Babatunde Emmanuel Popoola, Mojisola Tinuola Popoola, Olusegun Charles Ogunseye, Olufemi Wilfred Williams, Victor Oyewumi Oloyede, Gbenga Benson Ogundele
Case Number 2013R00299 and Court Docket Number 15-CR-00277

The enclosed information is provided by the United States Department of Justice Victim Notification System (VNS). As a victim witness professional, my role is to assist you with information and services during the prosecution of this case. I am contacting you because you were identified by law enforcement as a victim during the investigation of the above criminal case.

During the prosecution of a federal criminal case a defendant may be ordered by the Court to remain confined. The United States Marshal Service manages defendants who are ordered by the Court to remain in custody. Custody status of a defendant is subject to change during the course of the criminal proceedings.

As of September 30, 2015, Victor Oyewumi Oloyede is in custody.

As of September 30, 2015, Gbenga Benson Ogundele is in custody.

As of September 30, 2015, Babatunde Emmanuel Popoola is in custody.

As of September 30, 2015, Olufemi Wilfred Williams is in custody.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:40 am

603mb

For sure the summons is a legal court document but I am very not sure if this is from legit organ or just copied by scammers letter. If you got this via USPS you must have the court header and detailed address.
If it came through the email it is a recovery scam. Please let us know more details. We only want you to be safe.

It is rather hard to believe that those Nigerian criminals are on US grounds and if they not - US court does not have the jurisdiction in Nigeria and our government doesn't have extradition treaty with Nigeria. FBI personally told me that financial loss combined must be greater then one million dollars in order to start investigation.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

603mb
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby 603mb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:02 pm

It did have the Court address and Dept of Justice letterhead. I just didn't include it when I copied it. The email address has a usdoj.gov domain. Subsequent emails also listed judges names and dates of hearings. I am confident that it is real. Thank you for the concern though. You can never be too careful.

The scammers do seem to be US based. I just searched one of the names and found this recent article:
http://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/consp ... ns-dollars

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:11 pm

603mb

That is wonderful news and centrally hope on the future. Good luck to you and please keep us informed how the case go. Thank you so much!

603mb
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby 603mb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Thank you, I will. And thank you for the support. :)

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:38 am

Hi 603mb, another example, to an actual scam victim, where her gang is just trying the next angle, from yesterday: http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 70#p458170

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:36 am

Since Nigeria seems to be the scam capital of the world, its a shame the U.S. can't negotiate an extradition treaty. When I was scammed, the local FBI agent gave me impression that he really did not care. I reported it to internet security but it was a waste of time.

Return to “Prosecution of African Scammers”