It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Nigerian official pledges to arrest scammers

Is it possible?
geecee
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geecee » Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 pm

This news story dated 01 September 2009.

Hardline Nigerian official pledges to arrest the 419 scammers

In a world-first move, a top Nigerian official has pledged to do more to jail the perpetrators of Nigerian internet scams that police say are costing Australians at least $40 million a year.

But Sunday Olu Agbi, the hardline Nigerian high commissioner who is based in Canberra, stands by his comments from last year that most victims of the scams are just as guilty as the fraudsters and should be jailed as well.

The Nigerian Government has teamed up with Queensland Police to create an "online reporting system" on the Queensland Police website where any Australians who believe they have been targeted by a scam can report it directly to Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Police say this will greatly speed up investigations and solve the problem of victims not reporting scams to police because they are embarrassed or feel foolish.

Professor Olu Agbi said the portal would lead to the arrest and prosecution of Nigerian scammers.

Already, co-operation between Queensland Police and the EFCC has led to the arrest of 10 Nigerian fraudsters and their assets will be used to repay victims.

"The reports will show in Nigeria almost automatically - it makes it possible for the scammers to be traced as quickly as possible by the Nigerian EFCC," he said.

Although the system is open to all Australians, NSW Police fraud squad head Detective Superintendent Col Dyson said he would take a closer look at the Queensland Police project and consider adding the reporting system to the NSW Police website.
But the direct co-operation with the EFCC, enabled via the new online portal, would mean the fraudsters could be arrested and the money returned.
In the past few years, 10 Nigerians were locked up for computer fraud because of co-operation between the EFCC and Queensland Police.
One case had just been completed. The perpetrator was jailed for 19 years with an order from the courts that all their assets - including two parcels of land and a car - be disposed of and repatriation made to the victim.
It provides an effective, silent mechanism for victims to make some inquiries or a report directly to the EFCC in Nigeria and have their matter looked at.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Re: Nigerian official pledges to arrest scammers

Postby wayne » Thu May 27, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm sure this was discussed here before, and the fact he said "most victims of the scams are just as guilty as the fraudsters" treated with the contempt it deserved.

liarshater
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Nigerian official pledges to arrest scammers

Postby liarshater » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:40 am

I'm sure this was discussed here before, and the fact he said "most victims of the scams are just as guilty as the fraudsters" treated with the contempt it deserved.

of course....not my case and most case. I am not guilty of doing the same fraud schemes,...which makes me all the victim!!! maybe a stupid one...to fall to them!!!

Return to “Prosecution of African Scammers”