It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Scammers in Malaysia Caught!

Is it possible?
mokot
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mokot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:15 pm

The police in Malaysia did a great job recently by arresting 11 Nigerian "students" involved in internet love scams. These Nigerians were based in Penang, but mostly claimed to be students in Kuala Lumpur. The news was reported widely not just by the local newspapers but also by all the television networks here in Malaysia.

Those of you interested to read, please go to "the star.com.my" newspaper dated 22nd June 2010.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: Scammers in Malaysia Caught!

Postby FrumpyBB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Link?

"the star.com.my scammers arrested" into Google gives a number of hits, all from June ´10 but not "your" story.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

ryanna1771
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ryanna1771 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

This is the link 'mokot' refers to.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... 3-year-old" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; woman loses RM155,000 to 'lover'‎
Malaysia Star - Andrea Filmer - 15 hours ago

GEORGE TOWN: A 73-year-old woman was swindled of RM155,000 in an Internet love scam by a Nigerian syndicate that has been busted by police. ...

ryanna1771
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ryanna1771 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:48 pm

I think it's better to post the article here as the last paragraph is important to victims who have sent money to CIMB.

Tuesday June 22, 2010
73-year-old woman loses RM155,000 to ‘lover’
By ANDREA FILMER
andrea@thestar.com.my

GEORGE TOWN: A 73-year-old woman was swindled of RM155,000 in an Internet love scam by a Nigerian syndicate that has been busted by police.
She was the latest victim of the syndicate, which had cheated 110 other women over the last two years of about RM1.35mil.
The other victims included teachers, a lawyer and an engineer who were cheated of money from as little as RM5,000.
Penang deputy police chief Senior Asst Comm (I) Datuk Tun Hisan Tun Hamzah said the Nigerians had posed as handsome British men, courting their victims, who were all single Penang women, through online chats.
“They took the time to win over the women’s hearts and trust, sometimes to the extent of proposing marriage,” SAC Tun Hishan told a press conference here yesterday.
After about two months of courting, the “British men” conveyed their intention to send the women gifts in the form of laptop computers, mobile phones and cash in American currency.
“The women then received calls from a local woman impersonating a Customs officer, telling them that the parcel had been held up for Customs checks.
“They told the victims that a penalty had to be paid and provided them with bank accounts to pay the fine,” SAC Tun Hisan said.
He said the “British men” and parcels disappeared after the victims banked in the money.
He said the majority of the victims were aged between 20 and 50. Half of them are believed to be college and university students.
The syndicate was busted last Friday when police arrested 11 Nigerian men and three local women in raids on two houses in Seberang Prai and Butterworth after a month of surveillance.
Two computer hard disks, two flash drives, six laptop computers, 36 mobile phones, RM849, US$1,546 (RM5,086), 1,000 (RM4.080) and 1,930 Nigerian nairas (RM41.45) were seized in the raids.
The suspects are aged between 25 and 38, and some of the Nigerians are enrolled as students in institutions of higher education in Penang.
“From documents we recovered, we feel there are more victims out there,” SAC Tun Hisan said.
He urged anyone who had been asked to deposit money into CIMB bank accounts 0733-0022708-4, 0733-0022691-52-3 or 0733-0024037-52-5 to come forward and assist police in investigations.

mokot
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mokot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks for the link...I didn't know how to do that...!

InsteadaBMW
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby InsteadaBMW » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:17 pm

This is an article I found from that paper!
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44 pm

I hope my former scammer is one of these goat caught and now placed in a cage. :evil:
MY Police arrest more! :applause:
Nothing wrong of being an Engr. as long as you are real. :-)

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 am

Good news!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I hope few pests which were posted on this board were among them. Especially I hope the notorious Frank Moore and Pipes Novikov are behind bars now. If not yet... well, one day, one day... :lol:
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

camelion
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby camelion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:52 am

just shows that the scammers can get caught if the police and victims and all the right agencies work together. What a terrific result. Lets hope the police have more success and it gives wider exposure to the problem.

minerva

Bookmark and Share

Postby minerva » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:56 pm

yeahh i hope Frank Moore one of them who get on jail :) :D :lol: so he could scamming other asian woman again ;)
to help you how to post and other read the FAQ viewtopic.php?f=74&t=83893

honestlady
*SUSPENDED*

Bookmark and Share

Postby honestlady » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 am

I hope Chris Grant (the scammer that scam on me from Malaysia) is one of them and arrested.

blubeweahcheescake
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby blubeweahcheescake » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:10 am

I hope the scammer who pretends to be an Orthopedic Doctor Akim Brian Venturo working in Iraq, who's basically in Malaysia rents a home in Kuala Lumpur and also has gangs in Jakarta, can be arrested too... Because he signed up in many dating sites hunting more and more future victims out there...
blubeweahcheescake

new2texas
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby new2texas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:08 am

Unfortunately my scammer Tony Walter waltertony42@yahoo.com was not with the group that were caught....he tried again today to reach me. I would love to report him to the Malaysian government because I sent my money via Western Union so there would be some trace as to who picked up the money...but not sure how to go about reporting to the Malaysian government...any suggestions?

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 am

you can send your report on a scammer in Malaysia to: rmp@rmp.gov.my
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

new2texas
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby new2texas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Thank you Marsia.....I sent an email....I will post the results

Return to “Prosecution of African Scammers”