It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

scammers target middle age women

Articles and media
knuckles
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby knuckles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:56 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/a ... -age-women

The Metropolitan police has called for victims of online dating fraud to come forward and identify scammers as concern grows about the scale of the problem, with women typically being duped out of nearly £50,000.

Fraud officers are investigating 30 cases where people looking for partners have been scammed, often pawning jewellery and taking out loans as a result of the elaborate hoaxes.

This week Robinson Agbonifoayetan, 32, from Welling in south-east London, was sentenced to three years in prison after he took part in a fraud where two women were convinced that a general in the US marines had fallen in love with them and parted with almost £300,000.

In a separate case, three men have been arrested and charged in relation to a scam where a total of £1.6m was taken from a number of victims.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Re: scammers target middle age women

Postby Igulinka » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:00 pm

This is very interesting article and proves that scammers truly operate from UK which means they travel easier then ever :(

knuckles
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby knuckles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:02 pm

guess we overlook the homegrown scammers who appear to be migrants and not indigenous people ,but you can never be sure .......

knuckles
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby knuckles » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:39 pm

border controls are so lax in the UK that any old scammer can get into the country posing as an asylum seeker :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LaraC
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby LaraC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:39 am

My scammer's collection point was in London too, that was last year 2015.

This is particularly true "Metropolitan police’s Falcon unit, which deals with fraud and cybercrime, said that while the number of romance scams they are investigating is fewer than other internet-based hoaxes, the financial losses which people suffer are far greater."

But then not so true about the last sentence because it is not only financial loss for many victims.

Do we hear any arrest news IN Nigeria? Is it because you never get caught in Nigeria or is it that we don't hear news fro Nigeria? - maybe both but more former.

As less and less people would send money to west Africa these days, the scammers needed to move to west/1st countries, now Nigerian scammers are extremely active in Hong Kong and Singapore. (and Tokyo too) Which means I think more chance to catch them?

hyacinthus
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby hyacinthus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:22 pm

It is really an interesting article that you have shared. It explains in detail how those scammers proceed and I think it could be very helpful to all women out there looking for a soulmate in an online dating website. They have special tactics, they try to fit in the profile of the man you are specifically looking for and also to take out the most information out of you, which can often make people believe that they are just interested in you.

[...]
But then not so true about the last sentence because it is not only financial loss for many victims.
[...]
I agree! Usually, the worst loss isn't the financial loss but the psychological effects this event has on the victim. I don't think you would feel safe and would trust someone if this happens to you. Not to mention the other psychological events of having a huge financial burden.

[...]
Do we hear any arrest news IN Nigeria? Is it because you never get caught in Nigeria or is it that we don't hear news fro Nigeria? - maybe both but more former.

[...]
Indeed, there are very few scammers caught in Nigeria. We also rarely see and read any news about Nigeria. It appears like it is very isolated. However, many scams are initiated from and are planned in Nigeria and I am not talking only about romance scams involving money but also other. Just recently I read an article on girlsaskguys.com about a 27 year old girl who apparently became a very good friend with another Nigerian girl and wants to go there alone. This sounds very scary to me. I am not saying it is a scam but it could be. Therefore, internet scams can affect also younger men and women.

knuckles
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby knuckles » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:47 pm

419ers are having a hard time these days and moving into other fields as most know their games on auction sites 00 all roads lead back to the post office in Lagos or accra :shock: :lol:

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:50 pm

knuckles

if you have any press article about it please post to warn others. Thank you.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Return to “Articles and media”