It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Do romance scams need to be featured more in the media?

If you want to know the opinion of our visitors, create your poll. Please don't submit scammers here!

Yes
97%
No
2%
Huh?
1%

Total votes: 146

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 pm

SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Re: Do romance scams need to be featured more in the media?

Postby wayne » Thu May 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Why do I get the feeling that "yes" is going to run away with this one? :party:

tootrusting
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby tootrusting » Fri May 07, 2010 1:52 am

Yeah..run away..just like the scammers did with my money! Yes still bitter!

On A Mission
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby On A Mission » Fri May 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Yes and with ever source that is available and then some. When I do hear about scams in the news they tend to stay away from the topic of Romance Scams. It is almost like it is an embarrassment or a highly kept secret.... another pay off, just kidding :thinking: There are many minor issues in the Headlines daily that get much attention, even robberies under $100.00. Romance Robberies.......
We are here to help you free of charge
but there are charges to keep this site running.
If we were able to help in any way,
a small donation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

>>REAL FACES OF SCAMMERS<<[/b]

geecee
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geecee » Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 am

I think the 'yes' vote will be like Grandma's home-made apple pie... it will be very popular.
Just entered my vote and the more knowledge that is made known about these fraudulent tricksters, will make their scamming activities more widely known.
At the moment, it seems to be a subject not many wish to discuss in the broader community. Hopefully that way of thinking will change. I think it does need more exposure in the print media. Another good feature would be from television broadcasts, whether reported in the news, current affairs or tv programmes about romance scams.

PrairieGrl06
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby PrairieGrl06 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:55 pm

I recently shared my experience with a colleague/friend and he said romance scamming was recently featured on one of the Canadian current events shows (W5, I think) and that he has heard about it on other programs as well. So it is out there.

It may be that admitting to having given money to someone you have not really met is embarrassing so few people will want to be open about it.

I have yet to tell any of my friends that the scumbag who scammed me actually got money from me before I figured out what was going on. I couldn't bear for them to think I was that foolish/desperate or whatever (although several of my friends had read his emails/chat scripts before the scamming part started and were as convinced as I was).

If RS is serious about making these scammers common knowledge, I would suggest a press package with a few featured scammer stories (or scam baiting stories?) and maybe contact info for those willing to discuss this candidly (photos would be hard, as the general population isn't always super smart and may accuse the guy who's photos were stolen of the scam). Send something to some of the more respected current affairs shows/news networks in the US, UK, Canada, etc and see if there is any interest.

Just a thought. I used to work as a news journalist and edit the features section sometimes. We would sift through unsolicited press packages looking for something that 'smelled good' from a story perspective. It has been 15 years since I did any of that, but this is definitely an intriguing topic.
When you feel that nobody loves you, nobody cares for you, everyone is ignoring you and people are jealous of you, you should really ask yourself... am I TOO sexy?

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sun May 09, 2010 4:51 pm

If RS is serious about making these scammers common knowledge
The forum title page is the result of a "press bulletin"-like text Wayne, Duckhunter and others were preparing and seeding out to lots of media in 2009.
The Canadian programme, I believe there is a mention of it in General Forum but I might be mixing things up.

This is maybe not the right place but...promises "We will be featuring this subject and quote you ooooooo" take much time of email answering - and so far have given us zero credits.

Can it be that the media focus more on actors and action rather than on "boring" desktop workers who are shy to show their faces?
:thinking:

Just would like to point out, the people themselves and the inncocent decent people who lost money are the reason why we are doing this. Anything else beyond that, like our weekly podcast, is just our "personal hobby".
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Sun May 09, 2010 5:05 pm

The thread at http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=18510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; may interest you then.

mari81
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mari81 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 am

Definitely YES!!!

bonzobear72
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bonzobear72 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:58 am

Of course it's yes. What I've been doing is when I recieve a forwarded email message from my friend...(you know the kind...send to 10 people within the hour and your wish will be granted, send to 10 people and help this girl fight cancer because she gets a nickel for every person that sends it...and the silly ones, jokes, political puns..etc) I repond to these and instead of forwarding the "email" that was sent to me I forward the information and the photos of the scammers.

I've recently tagged 20 people whom I dont' know in this email and I've asked them to forward it to people they know. I've also posted the information with photos on my Facebook page and had my friends repost and so forth.

Although Dr. Phil and Oprah have done shows on these, as well as the news, the scammers are becoming more creative in their stories. All we can do is pass on the information the best way we know how.

Jeepers02
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Jeepers02 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:49 am

Of course scams like this need to be in the media more. People need to be informed of whats going on. I have been involved in 2 scams, and now I realize how stupid I was to go along with it, but I have had to lean about these scams on the internet. If the media doesn't talk about this more, a lot of people are going to be out money, and like me have their bank accounts froze because of frauds. I have now learned what to look for and to be more cautious in the future.

alfa
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby alfa » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 am

Yeah! And their photos mast be in black list!!!

gerald.fird
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby gerald.fird » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Course they should be featured on the media more. It's horrible how many people fall for these scams every year.

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Was just thinking.....what about doing something on facebook? I'm always getting invitations to join groups and sign petitions and such.....might be a way to make our message "go viral" so to speak. (Worked really well recently when the people of British Columbia took up a fight against a new sales tax.)

The way it works is that if I should join the group, then all of my friends will be sent an invitation to join, then any of them who join will have invitations sent to all of their friends, etc. etc.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:11 pm

You mean like this?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pi ... 1413579753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Voting polls”