It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Do romance scams need to be featured more in the media?

If you want to know the opinion of our visitors, create your poll. Please don't submit scammers here!

Yes
97%
No
2%
Huh?
1%

Total votes: 146

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Do romance scams need to be featured more in the media?

Postby duckhunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Actually no....more like these examples:
XXXX has asked you to sign the petition Keep Pets Out of Hopkins’ Labs!

or

Support my cause, Fight Animal Cruelty. Help by joining, donating, or inviting your friends!
Below these you would find 2 or 3 link options such as "Join Cause", "Learn More" or "Ignore". Not being very computer savvy myself, I'm not sure how to start a cause or petition, but it can't be too difficult I'm sure
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Ahh, now I get you. We can certainly see what we can do.

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 pm

The more I think about it, the better I like the idea -- we could possibly get our press bulletin around the world faster than the swine flu without the help of the media. I think it's worth a shot.

I'm sure I could figure out how to do it if you want.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

Enyalk
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Enyalk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:02 pm

It is not only that they should be featured in more media, but I think there should be legislature that requires dating sites to share information on scammers. I was shocked to find out that it is "dater beware", and that if you report a scammer (found and verified through this site and others) that they consider it sharing of private information and will not report said scammer to other sites. Can you imagine how much would/could be prevented if someone was found out on a site, and it was immediately shared with other sites? :twisted:

Gisela
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gisela » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 pm

:D

AppleMarineXX
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby AppleMarineXX » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:17 am

authorities should try to find a way to counter them

kodify
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby kodify » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 am

I think that people should be alerted of the fact that they can be scammed and introduced to the possibility by the sites... or a web portal... or something. If someone would create a... that's it... random idea: Intro To Scammers. We make a guide and list scammer tactics. Let the individual websites host it if they're concerned about their customers.

Actually, in Russia... isn't discussing finances considered insulting or something like that? I remember reading it from an article written by a guy who was seeking a Russian Bride... she felt offended and didn't talk to him anymore. He thought it was a natural part of the development... people try to 'cement' things... but in other countries cultures are different. It probably depends on the circumstances, but the mere awareness of the fact that such things can be taken in this way would put up a warning flag or two if she acted contrarily. It would be nice to know these facts about other cultures as well.

But at the same time... putting these scams on the TV would take away from the scams people need to know about... like fake/forged checks that ask you to deposit them. The bank gives you the money, discovers the problem, asks you for the money back and by that time you've sent a few hundred dollars... sometimes the full amount. There was another scam with reverse telephone charges. And... well... there are a lot of them.
I agree though, if we can reliably get information to the people who need it *before* they're scammed and prevent the scams without diminishing other more relevant scams... it should be covered more. But under the circumstances, it's not very relevant to the majority of people and the best place to cover it is where it happens... the internet... preferably on the websites as it makes them look more reputable when they warn about the possibility. It just needs to be carefully written to increase customers/join rate, rather than scaring them away... and it can be done.

southern lady
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby southern lady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:32 am

I think it's a good way to get the word out. It doesn't seem like too many are willing to face the public because of the shame. :(
Southern Lady

southern lady
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby southern lady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 am

When you think about it that shame is a sense of inadequacy or guilt and"WE" have nothing to feel that way about. The scammers did this not us. :evil: We are trusting and they are criminals. :twisted:
Southern Lady

Lioness1

Bookmark and Share

Postby Lioness1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:50 pm

I am considered a very well-read person, I read the "Süddeutsche Zeitung", also the "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung" and also accepted several Sunday newspapers of my country, if only for professional reasons. I listen to the news several times a day. Some broadcasters, such as RTL - Radio Télévision Luxemburg - "Akte 2010", have reported it.
Recently I`ve only found out, according to the fraud attempt. For me, unfortunately too late. To us there are more the private channels, not the public ones, which reported about.
5 kms away from here, while in France, there is more reporting. They have their former colonies in Africa and corresponding people in their own country. There are different mentalities, the relative closeness to Europe and the "greed and hunger" for quick money without work, thanks to Internet they get everything. In addition the envy and anger at the white man, also a lack of education opportunities. So they "work", means scam, in the internet cafe. I found a French video on You Tube, called "LE MUGU" (minzior). I was titled "mugu" in the last chat. That video is a blend of reality and parody about scammers from the Ivory Coast, "Le cóte d`Ivoire", very informative, even if you do not speak any French but English, one comes with and get it.....!
I vote for the most pressing
YES - QUI - JA!
Education and enlightenment are more than needed.

lucindamc456
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby lucindamc456 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:06 pm

I see a lot of people feel the way I do that they should say something about this in the media. The Katie Couric show would be a great place to have a talk about this. I will contact her and suggest that.

geecee
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geecee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 pm

And I think this would be a very timely reminder to everyone out there.
Please watch and learn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vJ-SkxXFaY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm

They constantly mention it in media - here, there... but it is one of those stories when, until it affects YOU or somebody in your family, people cannot relate to it. They think it happens to somebody, but cannot happen to them. The typical reaction is "how can they be so silly to send money to somebody they don't know?", then in 5 minutes they forget about it.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Spectraman
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Spectraman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:23 am

Its the fastest way to get it to stop.

sweet Trinigirl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby sweet Trinigirl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 am

In my country, many have never heard of such scams and we are by no means backward. When I went to the police with my story, they only knew about the lottery scam, they had to investigate and research love scams on this site. Still, even after the research, they never took it seriously, calling it the lonely, old lady syndrome. I was offended, I am not old. Dr. Phil was a real eye opener for me. If I had only known before, I would have been saved so much heart ache and empty wallet. Certainly, a little exposure of these scams would have been welcome. I found out the sites, the information, and the wisdom AFTER the scam.

Return to “Voting polls”